1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit Tornado Settings

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Weezer00, Oct 9, 2004.

1. narutoXD

narutoXD Member

DVDBack23 and BiggerMac

i went to my firewall program and went to the part of the program called expection or something and i saw BIt Tornado and it was checked and my Msn was also checked so i unchecked my bit tornado box and it

2. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

and it....

3. narutoXD

narutoXD Member

DVDBack23,

i added and it by accident sorry

4. narutoXD

narutoXD Member

my bit tornado light coulor is yellow now maybe it is becasue that i checked the box off from the firewall settings,i am not sure what the problem is

5. biggermac

biggermac Regular member

> my bit tornado light coulor is yellow now maybe it is becasue that
    > i checked the box off from the firewall settings,i am not sure
    > what the problem is

Yes. if it was ever green before you messed with this then it should matter.

6. Thel)emon

Thel)emon Member

I'm downloading on Bit tornado, Im connecting with 69peers and 6 seeds but i'm only downloading at an average of 37kb/s? Can anyone help me.
    I have a 3.0 connection and my firewall is off. All my ports are open. I should been downloading a lot more than I am right now.

SOmeone HELP

7. biggermac

biggermac Regular member

Thel)emon,

If the light color is green I can only suggest that you set your max upload speed to 75% to 80% of the upload speed you know you have. Setting it higher than this will retard your download just as if you had it set too low. Do not use an automatic setting. Pick slow or fast DSL, then you can manipulate the numbers after it adds them to the box. Max uploads set to 5 maybe if you have good uploading speed. I'd shy away from 6 max uploads.

Now, I usually get 80 KB/s (about 560 kbps)for many, and even more than that for some, even 1 Mbps and few 2 Mbps.. But here is the deal - different downloads, even if the same number of seeds and peers as the one you just got yesterday, could be different. I don't know what it depends on.

But right now I am downloading a 5 gigger 8 seeds and 41 peers.. I am going at about the same upload speed as download speed with 32 KB/s up 34 - 35 KB/s down. So, I'd have to say that you might be doing as best as possible with that one. I am 40% of the way through and I've messed with the settings, and I can get it to spike up a bit for a minute but it comes back down again.

I am going to guess that there aren't enough seeds vs peers ratio here to get this thing flying faster.. Your seeds to peers ratio is even worse than this one. Why it is like this I don't know, because I though the sheer number of peers would help. But if I have more of the file that many maybe it makes a difference too. or maybe the tracker is located in China or something.. (laughing, but maybe location does make a difference?)

--------- Thel)emon wrote:
    I'm downloading on Bit tornado, Im connecting with 69peers and 6 seeds but i'm only downloading at an average of 37kb/s? Can anyone help me.
    I have a 3.0 connection and my firewall is off. All my ports are open. I should been downloading a lot more than I am right now.

SOmeone HELP

Last edited: Aug 25, 2005
  8. Thel)emon

Thel)emon Member

according to my ISP. My upload rate is 800kbits/sec. My light is green but how u set 80% of my upload speed?

9. biggermac

biggermac Regular member

> according to my ISP. My upload rate is 800kbits/sec. My light is
    > green but how u set 80% of my upload speed?

That is 800 kbps upload speed. 3 Mbps download speed is 3000 Kbps. That small letter b = bits.

But in torrent program language, it uses a large letter B for Bytes. 8 bits = a Byte. In KB/s 800 kbps = 100KB/s. Which by the way is a VERY generous offering from your ISP. I wish I had that. Most people have 250 - 500 kbps upload. I have 400 kbps, but after tests at www.dslreports.com I have determined I am more like 350 Kbps (run the test at a few different places, one near to you as you can get and one farther away and see how your speed is).

If you are you sure your upload max is really 800 Kbps, 80% of 800 is easy, divide by 10 and subtract 2 of what you get as an answer - 10 into 800 is 80. times it by 2 is 160. subtract 160 from 800 = 640 Kbps is 80% of 800 kbps. Now to get KB/s out of Kbps, since 8 bits = one Byte, divide 640 Kbps by 8 = 80 KB/s. you have so much upload speed to play with I'd tweak it back to 75% to be on the safe side, say 70 to 75 KB/s. So, try something like "73" in the max upload speed box.

Max uploads (not max upload speed) in the box below that, with all of that speed, 6 or even 7 or 8 might be OK. Me I use 5, but I don't have your speed.

10. dollardog

dollardog Member

hi guys hows it going.
    i'm new to the forum but have been using bittornado for a long time and i think i could help you solve a few problems.
    First of all when you download bittornado use the stable version when i changed to use the experimental version it didn't work well at all.
    Download and install stable version, once installed go to windows firewall (i use this firewall all the time never have any trouble, i used norton internet security firewall 2kb/s download speed)add programs got to program files bittornado the click the .exe file then ok. then at the bottom of the list in your firewall you should see upnp framework unticked. Tick the box to allow, ok. Finished
    Now start a download, once the download has started the first thing to do is adjust the settings 1. click PREFS at the top you have the port range i have found that port 49400-49405 randomise works the best. 2. rate settings mode FULL. 3.default rate setiings i have on dsl/cable fast which i do have you can try different options like T1 or T3+ it's trial and error just watch the speeds everytime you change these settings.4.UPNP port forwarding type1(fast).5. This is optional Default save path with this you can select a perminent spot for your downloads for example C:documents and settings\mike\desktop\downloads then click SAVE and your done.
    Please remember check how many people have downloaded the item you want because the more people that have the file the fast you will aquire it and the reason this is is once people have finshed the download they keep it running to help people get fast download speeds so when your download has finshed DON'T TURN IT OFF Please seed so others get the same speeds it's share and share alike there is a meter
    at the side showing your ratio make sure you upload atleast the amount your download if your not willing to do these things than i would rather you not use the settings and methods i have provided. thanx guys(and girls :p) now get downloadin

Last edited: Nov 6, 2005
  11. kidman19

kidman19 Member

i am using bit tornado. i have a westell 6100 dsl modem from verizon. i did all the settings tweaks as mentioned. i even did the port fowarding things. when i did the port forwarding i lost my internet connection. I had to go back to the orginal setup. I still have nothing but yellow on my torrents. Any ideas what to do now?

12. biggermac

biggermac Regular member

Did you port forward a router (which is a hardware firewall) - or port forward in the westell 6100 dsl modem - i ask because I Googled for: Westell 6100 dsl modem , and I see it has a firewall inside of it - I don't know about these kinds of modems having built in forewalls.. is it a router/modem or just a modem?

Yea - yellow light = firewall. Don't forget you have a software firewall too.. You tried a port or a port range way up there, like 55775?

Losing your internet connection sounds like you close some ports..Like port 80 or whatever other ports are used..

You aren't with Rogers in Canada are you?? (wild guess).

13. biggermac

biggermac Regular member

dollardog. Your advise is OK. Use high ports. UPnP advice OK, however, I find (BitTornado) that UPnP shut off works for me too with Win XP.. (I shut it off in my router too). The reason being UPnP won't work for Win 98 I belive and I have 2nd computer on my home network a P3 running Win 98 SE, and I use it for torrent grabbing at times..

And upload speeds - as long as you do not use the "automatic" setting (everyone - don't use the automatic setting for uploads speed), whatever I choose, slow or fast DSL/cable - well, you can go in and change the number. Slow DSL puts 25, fast DSL puts 40 (KB/s), but you need to adjust it tailor made to your max upload speed, by putting in 80% of your max. 400 kbps = 50 KB/s, 20% of 50 = 40, so you'd put no more than 40 in BitTornado's Uploasd Speed Box (that's the speed it puts if you click fast DSL/cable, but not evdeeryone has exactly 4000 Kbps upload max).

14. kidman19

kidman19 Member

i have verizon in indiana. it doesnt matter how i change the port settings. that is when it flakes out on me.