1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit torrent...Speed it up

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Mr_Del, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

I have fliped through the guides on this site about torrent clients and would like to add a bit of info to them. I have found a way for me to dramaticaly speed up d/l. After 2 months of fiddling around and searching throught the web I have found some things that can be done that will speed up torrents. Worked for me anyway.

First off you may be aware that some ISPs throttle down P2P traffic or even put a halt to it altogeather. Here is how I got arround that problem. I am a user of Azureus but am sure similar settings can be found in other clients.

<<<In the client>>>

1)Change your port setting within the client to be between 49125-65535. (You will need to disable UPnP in the client and forward the port of choice in your router).

2)Enable encryption to RC4 (A bunch of people will not share with you if not encrypted. This will also, somewhat, hide what you are doing from your ISP)

3) Adjust the U/L and D/L speed to no more than 80% of your Net speed. (this will ensure you have enough bandwidth left over to do other things on the net) Run a speed test to determine your speeds. speekeasy is one place you can check this. If on an ISP where the speed is not always the same then check the client for an option to automaticaly adjust the set speeds. (That will allow the client to make adjustments as the net speed slows or speeds up)

****You can use the Azureus Upload Settings Calculator to give suggestions on some setup options. I am sure you can use the results in other clients. It will appear you cant type in any field but you can in the top section.

****If your U/L is set to low the tracker may see you as holding back and will send files to you slowly.

4) get a plugin called safepeer or peerGaurdian. This will block bad IPs that can cause slow D/L. PeerGaurdian Has a bad habit of blocking good IPs that can effect web browsing but some time and fine tuning you can work out the kinks.

5) Go to AzureusWiki for very detailed information on Azureus. The site will be confusing at first but has a wealth of information on setting up the client and explains each setting and how to change them.

6) If you are using Utorrent go to its guides. IT will give you detailed info on that client.

<<<Hardware>>>

1) In the router disable Block WAN request. (this may be listed as something else in different routers. In mine it was "Block anonymous internet requests)

2) Of course forward the selected ports. portforward.com has usefull information on how to do this. It will walk you step by step based on the router you have.

****Put a static IP on your PC. Having on obtain automatically can cause the system to grab different IPs then the routing is no good. Remember to grab the DNS adresses before setting up static.

3) Modems can bog down your transfers especialy if they have a firewall built into them.

For DSL set the modem into bridge mode
    ****Fixes the problem when you test your chosen ports and it reports back they are not open even though they are forwarded in your router (Nat error)
    ****You will need to change your router to PPPOE mode or you wont be able to connect to the net. You can find this in the setup part of the router. This is also where you put in your user name/password for log in to your ISP.

For cable There really is not much you can do with the modem but if it has firewall disable it

Only have 1 hardware firewall running in your setup.

This step brought me from 10k D/L to 100K D/L. It also made my internet run faster. Im on DSL.

<<<Software>>>

1) the selected ports will also have to be forwarded in your firewall software unless you have it set to allow all traffic for your client. (Some antivirus programs have a firewall type feature to filter out Internet worms. Go into the settings for internet worm protection to get the ports going).

2) Do not run more than 1 firewall program. (not recomended anyway)

<<<Other things to know>>>

1) seed back what you get even if it is a public tracker. That tracker will remember you. If you don't share back it will send to you slowly. I usualy wait until I get ratio of atleast 1.5 on public trackers before I kill the seed.

2) For private trackers seed back until it goes a few days without activity. This will keep the tracker sending at great speeds.

3) NEVER post the port you are using on any fourum. If an ISP catches wind of that it will be throttled down and you will have to change your port.

I hope this information will help out others.

This is the final edit.

-Del

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

thread teleported to relevant forum

3. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

Very nice little guide Mr_Del.

I would add to the <<<In the client>>> section, the Azureus Upload Settings Calculator for adjustments within the client to fit to ones upload speed.

Originally designed by The_8472 for Azureus, it is useable for any BT client as the principles are the same.

4. kvsingh

kvsingh Member

nice guide mr del,
    but i cant figure out how to Enable encryption to RC4.
    replies apreciated.

5. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

It is at Tools/Options/Connection/Transport Encryption and There is a pulldown menu for encryption level:
    [​IMG]

6. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

This guide is complete. Please leave feedback. I want to know if it has helped out others.

Thanks

-Del

7. stlnation

stlnation Member

i cannot find block anonymous internet requests or block wan or anything similar on my netgear router

8. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Not all routers have that setting. post your model and I will see what I can find.

-Del

9. stlnation

stlnation Member

netgear wrg614

10. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Do not worry about that setting in your router. It does not need the adjustment.

-Del

11. Reapa360

Reapa360 Member

I've been using BitComet forever and I've usually gotten good speed out of it. I tried Azureus once.. resource hog is a definite understatement. In anycase I'm using Shaw Cable internet (the whole Dynamic IP address and all). You think I should switch to Azureus?