1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit Torrents

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by chris87, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

There are a few different clients now i believe :)

2. Powa

Powa Regular member

Oh BitTorrent sux bad!! I've been trying to download a 700Mb file from it for 4days now. I'm on 128k adsl, which equates to about 15KB/sec. Constantly I'm uploading to some losers at about 12-14KB/s, and only getting 3-4KB/s download. Its happening all the time.

Oh this program is lame! I'm on a restricted 10Gig limit a month, and already this has wasted about 1.6gig and still going!

Anything I can do to increase the download? Otherwise I'm ditching this bandwidth waster :p

Also how exactly does this program work anyway? Who am I actually connected to? Not a very intuitive interface, with no settings at all.

3. Powa

Powa Regular member

Sorry, its worse than that, I download at 0-4KB/sec and it usually hovers around 1-2KB/sec
    I've seen it go up to 7KB/s once :p

4. Dela

On bit torrent you have to upload to download, if you dont upload u dont download, simple as that! lol

5. Powa

Powa Regular member

Well I have to say their thinking and their algorithm is warped as. :p 2.5GB upload for only 700mb download. Where is the maths or logic in that? Stupid bittorrents, I'm boycotting it :)

6. Dela

Well use something else then :) easy solution! lol ;-)

7. lars667

lars667 Guest

how do u work this bit torrent.
    i got it installed on my computer.
    and i go to supernova.org to download .
    and every link i click on leads to a
    page with garbage data scripts.
    am i doing something wrong somewhere?

8. Dela

garbage data scripts?? huh??

9. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

*Confoozed*
    Just download the .TORRENT files and execute them, specify a download location and sit back

10. zerwalter

zerwalter Member

I have been using Bit Torrent for a while now and I figured out some things that had stumped me when I first started. First of all, you can stop the download and then resume it later. You do this by opening the *.torrent again and then selecting the same directory. Torrent will then check the existing file and resume the download.

Bit Torrent works by downloading the bytes that you do not yet have, in no particular order. This means that if someone out there has a byte that you are missing, you just get that byte rather than the Gnutella method of sequential downloads.

When you finish the download, Bit Torrent puts all the bytes back in the right order and your files are complete. When you resume a download, it simply scans what you have so far and only looks for what you are missing.

You only download and upload to people who are looking at the same download window you are ie. only people trying to get the same file at the same time. So, in order for you to download, you have to upload as well. This proctects against leechers.

While Bit Torrent downloads it checksums everything that passes through it. If the checksum comes back wrong, it simply redownloads that byte(s). This means that the files you recieve are never corrupted in any way. They are exact copies of the original file.

I hope this answered some of your questions. If you have anymore, post here and I will do my best to answer them.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2003
  11. Praetor

Excellent post! That perhaps should be sticked as to explain BT to ppl. I was confused however not regarding BT but with lars667's post :)

12. zerwalter

zerwalter Member

Lars667:

I think that your problem is that the .torrent files are not associated with Bit Torrent with your Internet Browser. Your browser doesn't know which application to open the .torrent with so it just displays the raw data. To fix this I would suggest reinstalling Bit Torrent or going to their website and see if it provides any specific instructions on how to set the file type association.

If you could perhaps provide me with the operating system that you are using I could walk you through how to do it. NOTE: If you are using Mac OS X you must have version 10.2 (Jaguar) or higher for Bit Torrent to work. (Jaguar contains newer networking features than previous versions of OS X)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2003
  13. acidburnn

acidburnn Guest

I am new to this torrent stuff and i just downloaded Midnight Club II in the .torrent format but i cant execute/open the file because everytime i open bittorent it says problem connecting to tracker connection refused. Can anyone tell me how to solve this problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2003
  14. acidburnn

acidburnn Guest

I have now downloaded Bad Boys 2 and when i go to open it bittorrent says problem connecting to tracker operation timed out. Can any one help me with these problems.

15. acidburnn

acidburnn Guest

I am going to try and get some more movies and/or games and post what happens here.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2003
  16. acidburnn

acidburnn Guest

Ok. I got a lot more games and movies and everything seems to work fine including the ones that didn't work. I am opening one torrent at a time (thining it will go faster) But my upload rate is constantly at 0 kb/s and my download rate is 0-2 kb/s its mostly 0 or 1 kb/s. Is there any way I can speed things up. I read all the posts on this thread and it seems to go fast for everyone except for me and powa.

I am running a pentium 4 1.7GHz, 80gig hard drive 512megs ram. Windows 98se. If any has a solution post it here.

17. acidburnn

acidburnn Guest

Does anyone read these forums anymore!?!?!?!?

Anyway I have had Midnight Club II open for over two hours now and it just hit 2% (that can't be right)it is still mostly at 2kb/s althought it has peaked to about 7kb/s. It say that there is about 120 hours remaining (that definatly can't be right)

No, for real does anyone read this forum!

18. Praetor

Geez dude have some patience.... after all most of us have lives outside of AD (-- most of us hehe). Keep in mind that your downloads will be affected by availability of the seeded files too

19. unwanted

unwanted Guest

Wen i first installed bit torrent i was gettin nice 50kbs d/l. So i thought way hey. Then that slowy clapsed to 2.5kbs are well. Some of these sites are the only ones i can get my marvel comics tho.
    It is a clever piece of software tho, as i am sick of leeches on Kazaa the little Bas***ds!

20. Powa

Powa Regular member

I saw a bittorrents version where you could change your upload and download rate. Where can I get that version??

Currently I have the one where it just shows the progress of the download upload. I want to change it a bit cos they don't know logic.

Zerwalter - How does bitTorrents justify me uploading 2.5Gigs of data, to only download 700mb??? Thats about 4:1 upload/download ratio. Shouldn't it be more like 1:1 ratio?? Heck I only get 10Gig limit a month!