Black out, who got hit?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Prisoner, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Massive black out hit Canada and USA. I am still suffering power outages. Any others really affected? Working in a Hospital does have some advantages of still haveing power and internet.

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Damn - i new i shouldnt have played football near the electricity sub station. Atleast when the power went out i got my ball back :)

3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Praetor I think, he disappeared on IRC!

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Record sales of generators in the past week. $2000 will get you a generator that should rnu your house on minimum powerf or around 5 days. Thats fridge, lights, heating and cooling basically. Thats not bad!

5. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

in 2005 GMC is releasing a truck that generates 110V AC power, it even has regular outlets in the bed of it, construction guys dream truck!. We are doing alot of testing on this vehicle (i work in a lab that builds part of this truck), supposedly if you use power in your house, you can strat the truck and idle and power your house. i gotta get me one.

6. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

me.... :-(
    Damn I wish i was on an aircraft carrier.... sattelite internet, nuclear power....

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Dont be to keen on satellite internet, with 1 sec of latency, aint it that good. Wait for a few years till Microsoft backed teledesic is released - that will be a satellite system - wow

8. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

True enough but 1 second of latency is better than I get now grrrrrrr stupid DSL.... im gettin 4500ms.... not to mention the blackout.... which resulted in 13hour latency and severe withdrawal issues lol

9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Have you gotten on to Yahoo about the DSL cuz that really isnt right! 4500ms ping compared to my 32ms ping - im on 512K DSL.

10. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

So my power was off Thrusday 4pm to Saturday 9am. No massive food loss. Just got internet back now. Fun stuff living in computer age. Canada and USA have been blaming each other, but now we know it was the USA fault.
    Fun how fast this went off topic, all the USA people must still be down.

11. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

I havent seen a blackoput in years here, i think i only ever saw one and compared to that, its nothing!