Body Building

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by s3a, May 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s3a

s3a Guest

I don't think that this is the right forum for such debate but I just wanted to ask a few questions about body building.

Ok so in the beginning, I was doing push ups and I could barely do any. Now, I'm a titan (for my age) and I'm fet up of long push up sessions and bought a chin up bar and do tricep and bicep workouts using that bar instead. The real reason I prefer a bar is because, I d not have to be on the floor. I am now searching for a weight vest of 50 lbs or so so that I can have more weight to lift with my chin ups for when I become even stronger.

Here is my problem. I want abs that are strong but I don't want to do sit ups or chin ups. Don't get me wrong, it's not the hard work that is what bothers me. It is being on the floor but mostly because, when I do sit-ups, especially crunches, my neck is in soooo much pain and that is not a muscle at least not one I need to work out, so can someone help me?

I know this is a technology website but at least I posted this in the other discussions section ;)

Thanks in advance!

2. isaac4130

isaac4130 Regular member

haha quite possibly the wrong fourm indeed - but you never know who you'll find on the wonderful world of the Internet!
    I suggest leg raises if you want to work your abs without lying down.
    You will need some type of parallel bars so you can support your body above the ground.
    Get up on the bars with your legs hanging supported. This is far easier if you have padded bars designed for this type of activity, because you can rest your elbows and forearms on the bars to better support your weight.
    However, if you can only find some parallel bars, then use those and keep your arms locked straight.
    Then bring your knees up towards your chest for the exercise.
    A variation is to bring your feet up with legs locked straight to a 90 degree position, like you were sitting down.
    The problem will be that your arms will get fatigued just as quick as your abs - you may just end up needing to bite the bullet & lay down!

PS. You can also work the abs from lying down without doing crunches that hurt your neck - just lie flat & raise your legs 6 inches from the ground & keep them straight.

Another good one is to sit down, and lean back, supporting yourself on your hands. Bring your legs up (bent) so your body is in a 45 degree 'V' position. Then lean back, taking most of the weight with your arms, and extend the legs out straight. As you come up, use the abs to bring the body back (with help & support from the arms) and bring the legs back up to the bent position.

Hope that you can make sense of something in here - it's really hard to describe exercises without some visual reinforcement!

3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@s3a ... actually, there is a thread on this subject but no one has posted to it in awhile. I'll see if I can find it and post the link; then the mods can close this one.

4. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@s3a....here is the thread I was talking about. A lot of people are into it to one degree or another so it might be a good thing with a number of people to revive it. Also, there is a member here who is really into body building but didn't post to this thread. I don't know him but he seems to really know his business on this subject. If I run across his username, I'll let you know and you can invite him to join the discussion; seems he has a lot to offer on the subject.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/4/366067

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.