1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[bold]Help! Specifying the Split-point when burning Dual Layer[/bold]

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by xalaman, Oct 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xalaman

xalaman Member

I recently forked out the cash for Sony's Dual Layer DVD burner (DRU-800A) and have succesfully burned complete dual layer DVD movies (orignally ripped without any recompression using DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink, and finally burned using Nero (6.6.0.8). Everything works great except for one thing:

At the moment my DVD players (I use two different brands, and both have the same problem) switch from layer 1 to layer 2, the movie jumps ahead to the beginning of the next chapter in the title, thus losing the remainder of the chapter it was on before switching layers!

Is there any way to MANUALLY SPECIFY where the split point occurs (whether with Nero or any other burning software!) so that the second layer begins at the beginning of a chapter or cell?

All of the more sophistocated applications I've seen (like Scenarist) speak about specifying dual layer split points only with regard to video compilation/creation, but is there any way to manually control the split point when working with VOB files (and the VIDEO_TS folder) ripped directly from commercial DVDs?

I've already wasted over $30.00 of media on this! If anyone could steer me in the right path, I'd be more than grateful!

Steve

2. framit

framit Guest

Use DVD Decrypter under the Mode toolbar menu select iso. read it will ripthe movie to your selected folder. Then select Mode iso write, insert your DL disc and select the MDS file from your stored folder. It will automatically know where to split layers using the mds file, this is where the split layer info is kept.
    I know that Nero has a hard time figuring out where the split should occur. I'm afraid I don't know any other program that can figure out where the layer break should occur. Other more experienced members will jump in here and maybe educate both of us. I'm afraid to use any other program than Decrypter to trust this to.

3. GlueEater

GlueEater Regular member

Your Nero is really old. Update it, current version is 6.6.0.16.

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i'm with framit on this one, Nero's supoosed to be crap at dealing with the layer break so i see ppl recommending/using DVD Decrypter to burn dual layer media instead. or there's imgburn from the guy who wrote DVD Decrypter - www.imgburn.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.