Booting from online games and ems

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by messalina, Sep 5, 2007.

1. messalina

messalina Member

I am very new here and very illiterate about computers so, please forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place. Since July 17th, I have had my copy of Windows XP SP2 validated, had the copy reformated because of possible virus, had that reformatted and why I have no idea. I had Java installed and updated, hthough I had IE7 installed but a comp chek up says i have IE6, I installed and unistalled maybe 6 AOL programs, and am now using AOL 9.0 VR. Revision 4327.164; and I had McAfee installed and uninstalled because though i knew it's requirements overshot my comp, I allowed an AOL tech to talk me into loading it. Somewhere in there, I lost the ability to play games in sites like GSN and Gamehouse. I can't play in Pogo wither but they tell AOL they're having problems with their games.

My question is: Can anyone suggest the reason I can start some of these games other not, but after playing maybe two or three minutes my comp shuts down and sends me to the black screen where I must turn of the CPU by hand, holding the button for 5 seconds. This has also happened while I was on IM, in a search, and it always happens while I try to play the em games.

I have a Cybermax from Microsoft (there is info online about them), It has 400 MHz, 320 Rams, modem connection. I have nothing connected to it other than speakers. In 2005 I had the v-card replaced. The comp repaired installed the Radeon 7000 Series..AGP 2x/4x Connect 3D,ATI. And I just opened the box they sent back and it has a CD inside. I have no idea why. Is it something like the AOL Disc and used to refurbish the V-Card?It say ATI Radeon Driver CD ver. 8.2.

Well, that's all i can tell you guys. Please help if you can. I want advice before I send this to repairs. And I've heard throw it out the window, and get yourself a real ISP. :(

2. Vicious88

Vicious88 Regular member

As a computer technician I can tell you that you need to make sure you have run all of your possible Microsoft updates. These are helpful tools and patches that may fix problems such as yours. If going to http://update.microsoft.com and updating untill you can't update any more does NOT fix your problem, please reply and let me know so I can guide you through the next step. If it does fix it, again, please let me know, so we can move on to any other issues that may be experienced.

3. messalina

messalina Member

Did I forget to say that I was working with both AOL and Microsoft Techs until Microsoft manager told me he thought the problem was with my hardware, and Microsoft is a software company. He actually told me that he was going to having my computer back-dated, but when the day came to do that, my "Microsoft Easy Assist Pal" called and told me they were in effect hanging me out to dry. My best recourse would be to put it in the shop and have them look over the hardware.

Anyway, I did that...they tell me It's definitely not hardware. they upgraded my AVG, added and ran Lavasoft and advised that I not accept downloads (updates) as they may contain materials hazardous to my computers health. They also informed me that I did not have Micrsosoft Office and that that might be a factor. Especially with the emulators. However, they also told me my computer was fixed, and I paid them for their service. Well, guess what. I was just in "GSN" (The Game Show Network), and it throw me off and to the black screen again. That means either it is the missing M O or they lied and took my money.

So my question is: Could the fact that I don't have MO be the problem. I guess it was lost during the reformat and I was never told that I needed to download ANYTHING after the completion of the reformats. Although I always inform techs that I am not computer literate. How was I to know what was in the W XP Pack? All I know is that I took on 77 updates or downloads after the reformating.

BTW, if I seem angry, I am. I do however, appreciate that your a Microsoft Tech. You guys are better and more helpful or willing to hang in there than the Techs at AOL.