Brand: Imation Media

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by fallen_br, Mar 25, 2002.

1. fallen_br

fallen_br Member

Well, those are pretty well-known, and dreaded by some, but since the forum is new, I'm gonna share my experiences with them.

These are Imation media, 16x certified:

ATIP: 97m 26s 66f
    Disc Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corp.
    Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
    Media type: CD-Recordable
    Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
    nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

With those I had very poor quality, massive slowdowns on the last 25% of the disc, high C2 error rate (Acording to Nero CD Speed), and the drive would make some odd "spinning slowly" noises after the disc had finished reading, and wouldn't stop making those noises until I ejected the disc.

Burnt at 16x on my LG GCE-8160b, latest firmware. Definitely not recommended.

2. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Yep - the notorius CMC.

Ever since they hit the market back in the 4x days, they have been giving me problems. With their latest discs the results have varied. I have had some OK burns along with some very bad ones.

Definitely not recommended.

3. azomaniac

azomaniac Member

I just brought 30 cdr in slim case @ 12€ for all (nice price ;) they are 24x certified) the discs seems not bad.. i'll give them a try.... but I noticed that they are not very good for audio :(
    bad quality it seem...

4. burnproof

burnproof Guest

I bought some 24x Imation media (Manufactured by CMC). These were burnt on a Samsung 24x burner (Data only, no audio).

However, a Sony CRX 1611 and LG 8080B have problems reading the discs.

And the problem surfaces a few days after the CD is burnt. Wonder what's likely to happen after a few months....

5. fallen_br

fallen_br Member

Does anyone know if the Imation 24xs are actually different media to the 16xs or just remarked 16xs?

6. clousseau

clousseau Member

RE: Burnproof's asking what will happen after a few months? I know---Because they were so cheap, I used Imation discs to burn music downloaded from Napster, but found both computers did NOT like Imation--skips, buffer problems, etc. Now, I find that of the discs I did successfuly burn, they will not play anymore in computers, other CD players, except for one cheap walkman. I do NOT recommend ever using Imation. Apparently, after a year or so, they become useless.

7. andavari

andavari Member

It's a good thing I came here first before buying a 100 pack spindle of Imation CD-R's. Good to know they're not so great, no wonder they were selling for $19.95

8. Almighty1

Almighty1 Guest

I got some unlabeled 74 Min 650Mb 12x Silver top/blue bottomed generic Imations in a unlabeled spindle from quill.com last year which are the CMC Magnectics Corp type. The problem is that with data CD's, 3 CD's I burned, one of them can't be read by my Pioneer DVD305S while the other two can but it'll read fine elsewhere. With audio, that's where the nightmare begins... The disc records fine but it will play fine the first time but no matter if I put it in a DVD Player or CD Player or a computer drive, it will work fine the first 2 times but then it will fail reading past track 8 or even when it could read, there will be static. Is this what people experienced?

9. westgrveg

westgrveg Guest

Is this a problem with CMC Magnetics Corp or Imation?, has this happened to anyone with other brands?

10. Almighty1

Almighty1 Guest

Somehow from what I read on the forums, it's a CMC Magnetics Cyanine color media issue and not a Imation issue. Atleast I hope it isn't since I have a stack of Philips 40x 80min 700mb media which is CMC according to others.

11. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

It's a CMC issue. Imation is just a brand delivering 100% CMC products. I've been watching CMC for years and they constantly have delivered lower than acceptable quality.

12. Almighty1

Almighty1 Guest

Yeah but is there any chance that while CMC may be bad in quality in general, Imation just buys the worst they can get from CMC while Philips gets slightly better made discs but are still bad quality?

13. fallen_br

fallen_br Member

Well, CMC, as a big corporation, produces varying quality discs. Some are plain terrible, some are simply really bad and some are even acceptable. I've seen the Imations to fit this middle category, the Philips ones might or might not be on the better end of the spectrum.

But I do not trust CMC discs in general for anything, be they Cyanine or Phthalocyanine.

Have you made burns on the Philips already?

14. Almighty1

Almighty1 Guest

Interesting. Yeah, I guess there can be different levels even in the bad category. <G>
    I haven't made any burns yet because I have so many CDR's remaining, I'm trying to use the old stuff first.

Right now, I have approx 25 out of 50 of the Imation (generic no-name) 12x 74min 650mb CMC Cyanine that I am trying to finish up soon. These are the ones that has problems for data in reading on my Pioneer DVD305S drive on 1 of the 3 CDR's. For audio, it will work for like 2 times and then anything after track 8 will have problems reading or when it does read, will have static. So after that, I have a spindle of 50 Green Princo media that's 12x 80min 700mb that was shrink wrapped generic from CompUSA. The other media I have is around less than 20 of the TDK 74Min 650Mb 6x CertifiedPlus Blue Made in Japan by TDK in jewel boxes that I bought in 1998 which are really good and I'll save them for audio CD's.
    I guess I also have a 5 pack of SmartBuy 80min 700mb 16x Diamond/Silver media in jewel boxes as well as a 10 pack jewel boxed 12x Dysan 74min 650mb. After all those, I still have a TDK Certified Plus Made in Taiwan 80min 700mb 50piece spindle which was bought a year ago. Then this week alone, I bought the 100 pack (2 50 pack spindles of Fuji (Taiyo-Yuden) 80min 700mb 24x, and Memorex Made in Taiwan 80min 700mb 40x and ofcourse the Philips 50 pack spindle 80min 700mb 40x that was free from CompUSA after rebate. I guess I've just been buying too much media or something. I guess I want to use up the crap stuff first and then the good stuff.

15. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Imation CD-R 700mb/80min 1-48x (Product code:51122 41181)

ATIP: 97m 26s 66f
    Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
    Media type: CD-Recordable
    Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
    nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

Test results later.

16. aqua

aqua Guest

I bought 2 imation CD-RW and I wouldn't recommand them. I had a problem with the 2 of them. The first one did an error while I was trying to burn it (I erased it and did it again and it was OK). And for the second CD-RW, I burned it successfully, but I was not able to erase it. I sent it by mail to Imation and hope they will reimburse me.

So there's the infos :

== Imation CD-RW 4X ==

ATIP: 97m 26s 65f
    Reflective layer: Phase change
    Media type: CD-ReWritable
    Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. 4X
    nominal Capacity: 658.89MB (75m 00s 00f / LBA: 337350)

17. aqua

aqua Guest

I just received a new CD-RW by Imation and they send it to me by Purolator... they have bad medias but they aren't cheap for shipping :)

18. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Well, the test results on those I mention above were ok. However, that doesn't prove anything yet since CMC can be very inconsistent quality. I only bought two of them, just for testing purposes. Not going to risk any money by investing on CMC crap.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2002
  19. Racemann

Racemann Regular member

I did have a piece of 52x LiteON branded CMC that burned fantastic. Unfortunately it was my only piece :(.

20. hartwell

hartwell Guest

The dreaded imation cd-r's. You guys had to learn the hardway like i did. Stay away from them. What works for me is memorex I have not had a problem with them. Verbatim is another brand i used from time to time.