Burned Games or HDD Stored Games

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by d2leo, Jan 6, 2007.

1. d2leo

d2leo Member

Not sure if this has been a topic before, but I was just curious to see how everyone prefers to store their Xbox games and their pros and cons.

I am currently in the process of modding my box and don't know which route to take. I was leaning towards putting a bigger hard drive in my xbox so I wouldn't have to deal with a clutter of burned xbox games. Also, it would seem that games burned onto disks would be prone to getting scratched, damaged, or lost. Whereas they would be more protected just sitting on a hard drive.

So, do you store burned games on a hard drive or discs and why?

2. Nu2Mods

Nu2Mods Guest

hmmm

160 gig hard drive or wasting money burning dvds?

Hard drive

3. DeadRain

DeadRain Regular member

Well, if he doesnt have a modded hardrive, he should burn to cd's, instead of forking out like 60-80 bucks for a good HDD

4. jombee

jombee Member

I prefer to keep them on the hard drive, but I usually make a backup on disk that I keep around just in case

5. steimy

steimy Active member

i like them on the hard drive. I do burn them to a DVD
    as a back up just in case i need it. But it is easier and faster to use the hard drive to play them.
    For example you do not have to get up to keep switching discs,
    you just use the reset trick on the controller to get back to the main menu and select your next game and play.

Load times are faster from the HDD then a disc as well.
    I have a 300GB in mine and love it.

6. jombee

jombee Member

off topic @steimy

I've heard the IGR doesn't play well with a lot of games and have never used it. Have you had any experiences where you had to turn off IGR to get some games to work?

7. d2leo

d2leo Member

Just a quick question about the hard drives in the database. Does it matter if you use the same program that was used (ConfigMagic, XBOXHDM, etc.) that they used when installing it? Or could I use XBOXHDM on a hard drive that was installed with ConfigMagic?

8. steimy

steimy Active member

jombee, to tell you the truth i do not remember how mine is set.
    But i never have to change it. I would have to look at my settings. Is the iun game reset the thing that allows you to do the
    controller reset trick with the triggers + start & back?
    because that i can do.

d2leo, not real sure i understand the last question.
    Are you getting a mod chip (you should) or are you softmodding it?
    With a mod chip you can just swap the stock drive for a new compatible one, get slayer 2.7 and burn to a DVD, then use that to format the drive and put a ton of stuff on it like all the dashboards and useful apps, and emulators and roms.

9. Nu2Mods

Nu2Mods Guest

im with steimy get a chip, so much easier to install a hard drive, you can do it with a softmod but it is a pain in the butt compared to plugging it up in your xbox and formatting..

10. d2leo

d2leo Member

I'm actually doing the softmod...it seemed like the easier route to me. I was just curious about the program thing because I didn't know if the hard drive purchased would possibly only work with the program the tester used, or if it was just a matter of it being lockable.

11. steimy

steimy Active member

http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list
    they have hard drive compatibility charts on the net.
    But if you have to swap it yourself, and you doing a sofmod be prepared for a lot more work. As stated above it is a pain to do with a softmod compared to a modchip.
    Plus if something goes really wrong with a softmod you run the risk
    of screwing up your Xbox. Yes it is the cheaper way to go for sure but it is not the best way.