Burner Not Recognizing dvd+r dl

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by stfiv, Feb 14, 2009.

1. stfiv

stfiv Member

Ok so here is what happened i was trying to back up an xbox 360 game with imgburn and it gave me an I/o error everyone on the forums indicated that it was bad media that i should get verbatims so i did, also to update the firmware so i did as well...But to my surprise once i got home with the media and inserted it my drive does not recognize the dvd+r dl or dvd+r media.however it recognizes cd+r but not the dvd's what is up with that should i downgrade my firmware and if so how

2. grampyga

grampyga Regular member

To make sure your firmware updated;
    start ImgBurn and pick read mode without a disc in the drive,
    select the your burner as a source drive,
    you will see your drive name and your firmware version in the status/message box on the right.

Do you see “ATAPI DVD A DH16AYH YH14 (ATA)”?

3. stfiv

stfiv Member

yeah seems like i updated the firmware to the yh14 instead of the yh13 i had is there any way to go back to yh13 firmware..seems like the new firmware did a number on my burner not sure though could be something else any help would be greatly appreciated

4. grampyga

grampyga Regular member

As my understanding, those firmware update is mostly for updated info of writing strategy (how fast it can burn for the different media.)
    I do not think your problem is caused by the difference between the firmware versions unless you had a problem updating it.
    Was there any interruption during update?
    Did your windows find your drive as new hardware and recognized correctly when you restart?

Could you explain, “my drive does not recognize the dvd+r dl or dvd+r media”?
    Can you read the burned media?
    When you put NEW Blank media, nothing happen?

5. stfiv

stfiv Member

the only media type i have is dvd+r and dvd+rdl and both of those when i put them in, they are not recognized meaning it never lets me know that i have a blank disc in the drive, like it used too. nothing ever happens, however with cd+r media it reads them fine

You have any idea what is wrong, it stopped reading them all of a sudden well mostly after the firmware update..i will contact technical support for hp tomorrow but if anyone on here has had this happen and knows how to fix this please let me know

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  6. grampyga

grampyga Regular member

For others to understand your problem, please provide more details.
    Could you at least answer the questions in my previous post?

Was there any interruption during update?
    Did your Windows find your drive as new hardware and recognized correctly when you restart?
    Can you read the burned media? (DVD-R)

7. stfiv

stfiv Member

There was no interruption during update windows did find the drive and recognized it successfully and with burned media it does recognize it however it says it is blanks and with blank media in the other hand does not recognize it at all,very strange

8. grampyga

grampyga Regular member

Can you play/read DVD movie (original)?
    Can you start ImgBurn, and try to read the disk? Could you post that log?

I do not think that Updating your firmware causes the problem of not recognizing the recordable DVDs.
    After re-reading your previous post, I’m afraid your drive may have a problem (broken), if you have burned the discs on the same kind of media in the past…

9. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Sounds like your drive is heading south and was doing so BEFORE the fw flash, if your above statement is true. Do you have another drive to swap out and check?

10. stfiv

stfiv Member

i have burned successfully in a different pc and i think the burner might be dying on me one more thing about the burner is that it gets stuck sometimes and when there is not disk in the drive it takes forever for it to eject...dont know if this is relevant to the not recognizing the blank media

Now if i want to replace the burner how do i do that manually i own an hp slimline

when i put it in the burner it never stops trying to read it so there for i can't read it with imgburn it wont allow it i think something is wrong with my burner internally

11. grampyga

grampyga Regular member

If you want to change your drive,
    take it to a repair shop.
    Or if you want to replace by yourself (I can’t be responsible for though. Do at your own risk.),

make sure your interface type of your drive that is either IDE(PATA) or SATA,
    buy a drive of same interface type (for less trouble), set the jumper (Master or Slave) same as old one,
    take the cover, screws, cables out,
    replace the drive, connect the cables.
    turn system on and make sure it works,
    (Windows should recognize a new drive and make necessary changes.)
    then put cover back on…

That's about it.

12. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

If it's a Dell it would be set to Cable Select-just set the new one to what the other one was set to. Get your drive from newegg.com under $30 shipped. PM greensman and ask him what's best out now. He'll steer you right. It's easy to change out an ODD. Your pc manual should show you.

13. stfiv

stfiv Member

I actually took a trip to best buy today and and purchased a new dvd burner installed it and bam it works like new.. maybe cause it is new but it was a bit pricy now comparing them to newegg damn i wish i knew this sooner..I bought an Hp dvd 1140 does anyone know if that is any good and what are some of the best brands for a dvd burner on new egg right now...

Links please

Thank You

14. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I would take the HP back. Definitely not one of the better ODD and PM greensman like I said. He won't bite more than once. I have an A7200S Optiarc NEC and a 20A1S Lite-On were good for their time last year.These are SATA you may require IDE. Also heard good stuff from the samsungs and LGs lately.

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

man...I wont buy another Optical drive from a walkin store. Its discouraging going in a store anymore, when you know you can get it online cheaper. ALOT CHEAPER!!! Man...I would strongly recommend like garmoon, an optiarc 7200A Or 7200S. Depending on your requirements. Ive had a HP in the past, it was ok, BUT SPENDY. Go for the egg man! We need to push places like BB, Walmart, to come down in prices. YAH RIGHT. That'l happen! Samsung is also GOOD! You cant go wrong with them! I bet you spent nearly 3 times what you needed to :(

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

as OM7 and Moony said take that HP back. ive had 2 of them and they are very picky on the media they will burn. if you have a microcenter near you go there and look for the sony/nec/optaric AD7200A/S they have them there for $34 seen them lastnight there.

if not yes goto newegg.com and get your drive from there.
    the liteon 20A4P is a great drive. right now it is a truely reliable drive, i would take it over anything right now. mostly cause you cant find the optaric AD7200S..the AD7220S is a good drive also after a FW update mine is working awsome.
    looking at newegg i cant find the liteon 20A4P so they might be out of stock with them now as well... for a little more you can get the newest plextor which i am told by a relible sorce it has the nec chipset that the AD7200S has. look at this link.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16827249043,N82E16827118023&page=2&bop=And

here is a pioneer drive. it is sata. not sure which you need or want.i think loco has one of these along with a few others.good drive as well.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129032

here is your drive you just got from best buy. i know HP has come a long way but im not sure there drives are as reliable.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8976566&type=product&id=1217634016489

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I think officemax has the 20A4P right now. But...they're charging 60$ for it :( I wish I had an HP printer, then I could exchange HP cartridges for credit. But then, My epson is a continuous ink system :D So I cant complain about that :D

18. stfiv

stfiv Member

I have an ide interface and im actually thinking about returning this bad boy so far it has worked really well though. so ima try it out some more before i make a decision since i already have it.. I was looking at the pioneer on newegg with the ide interface looks like it has gotten some pretty good reviews i dunno we'll see.

19. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

you can do lots better than the hp.

20. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Lite-On have given me good results in the past, but the last two drives I have bought developed tray problems after about 18 months of use. They still burn great, but the problem is that they won't open. Recently bought an LG GH22LP20 drive and it is scoring the same as the Lite-Ons I've had before, just curious as to the longevity of it.
    I echo the advice of my esteemed colleagues, Newegg is the place to go for good drives.