1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burner Won't Recognize Blank DVD-R Discs

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by skipbell, Jun 4, 2006.

1. frbernard

frbernard Regular member

I use anydvd and clonedvd. I THINK ide controller, but not certain. How wouldI know this? My external is a retail. I do have Nero 7 Essentials also installed.

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

You would have to use Device Manager to see what controllers you have.

right click on My Computer and select Properties
    click the Hardware tab and then the Device Manager button

Since the external burner seems to work OK, I would guess there's likely nothing on your system interferring with the burning process, so that leaves you with either a hardware installation problem or faulty burners.

Can you borrow an external enclosure from someone to put one of the internal Liteon burners in for testing?

If you bought both 18APs at the same time and they've been hinky throughout. I suppose it's possible both could be faulty.

As a last resort you could try backing up your data, reformatting your system HDD and then reinstalling the OS. That can sometimes fix problems.

Edit: text added below

Are you controlling the burn speed or allowing CloneDVD to automatically pick the speed?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  3. frbernard

frbernard Regular member

Laddyboy:My controller is IDE. I had the speed set to maximum,but I just changed it to 6x to see if that made a difference. Idon't have access to testing my burners as you suggested. As I said that have been erratic since I installled them. I think I might just replace them. What would you suggest as replacements? Right now I am using them to read and writing on the external burner (Lite on) which is working perfectly.

4. frbernard

frbernard Regular member

Laddyboy: I just changed my speed setting from maximum to 6x and used the one defective(?) burner to read and the other to burn. They did so in record time and transferred from read to burn automatically without my having to do so manually. Seems like that must have been the problem.Thanks for your help.

5. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

You're welcome. Max burn speed is usually asking for trouble. Some burners adjust better than others. I uualy burn at 1/2 the rated speed of the media, so 16X media means an 8X burn for me.

6. Milo1

Milo1 Member

It happened to me number of times with different brands.
    The only easy solution that worked was unpluging the burner
    and replace it with different one [from a friend etc.] Restart with it and when it is recognized replace the same one back. Restart.
    It's a thing with windows.

7. almond2

almond2 Member

Im having a similar problem. My LiteOn Dvd Writer won't detect blank discs. Im using dvd fab to burn movies. My drive will read pretty much anything I put in it but Im unable to burn. I get the insert disc error. Ive already updated the filmware but nothing changes. Could my drive be shot after 4 months of use already?

8. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Well, if you've already burned 1000 disks in 4 month, it's possible. :)

Can you still burn CDs? Laptop or desktop burner?

There are so many possible things that could be causing the problem.

- Go back to an earlier restore point when things worked.
    - Use Device Manager to uninstall your drive and then restart your system. Also uninstall the IDE channel the drive is on if you have IDE and the burner is not on the same channel as the hard disk drive with the OS.
    - See if a different burning program like ImgBurn (free) will recognize media. http://www.imgburn.com
    - Use a registry cleaner to clean up the system.
    - Run Adaware or other similar software to remove spyware and other crapola from your system.
    - Disable your virus protection and see if that's causing the problem. Just be sure to not open any email or other files without turning the protection back on and unplug from the net before disabling protection.
    - Install your burner in another system to verify it actually still burns.
    - Backup your data, reformat your HDD, and reinstall your OS with updates and only those applications you actually use.

9. almond2

almond2 Member

Ive tried all the things you listed nothing has helped. I know its not possible that I have burnt a 1000 disks. I tried contacting the manufacturer and tech support for my drive and they don't responsed to my emails. This is the 3rd drive I bought in the last 6 months, none of them worked past 4 to 6 months. So, I assume I have to go buy a 4th one. Which really disgusts me that I have been wasting my money on the LiteOn DVD Writers. My external drive does the same thing.I hate that I spent $135.00 on this drive and it being a piece a crap. I appreicate all your tips very much. I just wished there was something else I could do.

10. Kilos13

Kilos13 Member

I was never able to figure out why my DVD drive could read blank dvds but not cds. So I pulled out my liteon drive through it out and replaced it with a samsung which works beautifully lol.

11. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

@ almond

Did you install your drive in another system to make sure it didn't work? It doesn't take a lot to disable a drive due to software conflict/corruption.

12. sfernan

sfernan Member

Hello all. I recently purchased some meorex dvd-r (Disc ID: CMC MAG. AM3) and tried to burn them on my BENQ1620 using imgburn. I have the latest code running B7W9. I tried 2 discs from the spindle and they both refuse to burn. I have tried downgrading the benq 1620 code to B7V9 and using nero. Still the same issues. After it fails the write, it cannot detect the DVD anymore. I have to reboot for it to recognize it. I have tried writing premanently as well as test write. When the dvd does recognize the disc, it shows up as empty with full avaiable capacity which tells me nothing was written during the write attempt.

Logs from Imgburn are attached below.

BTW, I have only one DVD-RW. The other two are virtual DVD-ROMS
    Thanks in advance

//****************************************\\
    ; ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 - Log
    ; Friday, 07 December 2007, 18:09:07
    ; \\****************************************//
    ;
    ;
    I 17:47:58 ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 started!
    I 17:47:58 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)
    I 17:47:58 Total Physical Memory: 1,048,052 KB - Available: 498,464 KB
    I 17:47:58 Initialising SPTI...
    I 17:47:58 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
    I 17:47:58 Found 2 DVD-ROMs and 1 DVD±RW!
    I 17:49:54 Operation Started!
    I 17:49:54 Source File: F:\Movies\The.Simpsons.Movie.PROPER.NTSC.DVDR-ANOMiC\ano-simpsons-proper-dvdr\ANO_SIMP.iso
    I 17:49:54 Source File Sectors: 2,248,505 (MODE1/2048)
    I 17:49:54 Source File Size: 4,604,938,240 bytes
    I 17:49:54 Source File Volume Identifier: ANO_SIMP
    I 17:49:54 Source File Application Identifier: MKISOFS ISO 9660/HFS FILESYSTEM BUILDER & CDRECORD CD-R/DVD CREATOR (C) 1993 E.YOUNGDALE (C) 1997 J.PEARSON/J.SCHILLING
    I 17:49:54 Source File Implementation Identifier: mkisofs
    I 17:49:54 Source File File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)
    I 17:49:54 Destination Device: [1:0:0] BENQ DVD DD DW1620 B7W9 (G:) (ATA)
    I 17:49:54 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: CMC MAG. AM3) (Speeds: 2.4x, 4x, 8x, 12x, 16x)
    I 17:49:54 Destination Media Sectors: 2,297,888
    I 17:49:54 Write Mode: DVD
    I 17:49:54 Write Type: DAO
    I 17:49:54 Write Speed: 8x
    I 17:49:54 Link Size: Auto
    I 17:49:54 Test Mode: Yes
    I 17:49:54 BURN-Proof: Enabled
    I 17:49:54 Filling Buffer... (20 MB)
    I 17:49:55 Writing LeadIn...
    W 17:50:15 Failed to Write Sectors 0 - 31 - Write Error
    W 17:50:15 Retrying (1 of 20)...
    W 17:50:15 Retry Failed - Invalid Address For Write
    W 17:50:15 Retrying (2 of 20)...
    W 17:50:15 Retrying (3 of 20)...
    W 17:50:15 Retrying (4 of 20)...
    W 17:50:15 Retrying (5 of 20)...
    W 17:50:15 Retrying (6 of 20)...
    W 17:50:15 Retrying (7 of 20)...
    W 17:50:15 Retrying (8 of 20)...
    W 17:50:15 Retrying (9 of 20)...
    W 17:50:15 Retrying (10 of 20)...
    W 17:50:15 Retrying (11 of 20)...
    W 17:50:15 Retrying (12 of 20)...
    W 17:50:15 Retrying (13 of 20)...
    W 17:50:15 Retrying (14 of 20)...
    W 17:50:15 Retrying (15 of 20)...
    W 17:50:15 Retrying (16 of 20)...
    W 17:50:15 Retrying (17 of 20)...
    W 17:50:15 Retrying (18 of 20)...
    W 17:50:15 Retrying (19 of 20)...
    W 17:50:15 Retrying (20 of 20)...
    E 17:50:17 Failed to Write Sectors 0 - 31 - Write Error
    I 17:50:17 Synchronising Cache...
    I 17:50:18 Cycling Tray after Test Write...
    E 17:50:23 Failed to Write Image!
    E 17:50:23 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:00:28
    I 17:50:23 Average Write Rate: N/A - Maximum Write Rate: N/A
    I 18:09:07 Close Request Acknowledged
    I 18:09:07 Closing Down...
    I 18:09:07 Shutting down SPTI...
    I 18:09:07 ImgBurn closed!

13. sfernan

sfernan Member

In addition to the above, this BENQ drive is 3 yrs old. It has been burning well all along with no issues. Could it possibly be a bad spindle?

14. hexsneak

hexsneak Member

hi i just installed a 80 gig hard drive on my computer now i cant burn with my cd burner please help me guys. i have a barracuda 80 gig i put ti below the cd drive where the cable is on?i mean inside the computer do i need to boot it or something tell me please YOur the experts ehre!

15. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

@hexsneak

It sounds as though you may have both devices on the same IDE channel. If so, both cannot be jumpered as the "slave" or "master" device. One, must be jumpered as the slave and connected to the middle connector and the other must be jumpered as master and connected to the connector at the far end of the IDE cable. Sometimes the jumper settings are indicated on the drive itself. If not consult the owner's/user's manual that came with the device. Or go online to the manufacturers site and find the manual or FAQ hat deals with the jumper setting. Sometimes the CD burner needs to be set as the master to work correctly.

16. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

@sfernan

That particular Memorex media is made by CMC Magnetics, a low cost, low quality supplier of media. I'm not sure the media is necessarily the problem, but could be. Verbatim is about the easiest high quality media to obtain.

17. sfernan

sfernan Member

Thanks Laddyboy..is there a reason why a drive will not detect certain media. I also tried with a DVD+R Made in Japan (Maxell 0002 code) and I have the same issue.

Now what I noticed is that after a reboot, the dvd is recognized fine. Then I do a test write and it goes fine. However, after the test, and the tray cycles, It doesnt recognize the media. This is with CMC and maxell.

The only dvds that it recognize fine everytime is dvd+rw and full dvds. I am wondering whether the benq 1620 has problem recognizing new media. The CMC is rated at 16 X and the maxell is 8 X

18. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

The 1620 is now an older burner of course. What you describe can be indicative of a burner gone bad of course but there's some additional troubleshooting steps to undertake.

- remove the drive and install in another system. If it works A-OK there, you will know that the problem is not with the burner but with your particular system. If it doesn't work when installed in another system, the likelihood is that the burner is toast and needs replacing.

If it works in the other system, here's some steps to take to find the problem with your system.
    - go back to an earlier restore point.
    - run a registry cleaner.
    - remove all other burning-related software, e.g., Roxio.
    - check the cabling to ensure proper connector seating on all devices in the chain and the motherboard.
    - change the communication cable.
    - uncable any other devices on the same communication channel like a second drive.
    - make sure the jumper settings on the drives match their position in the data cable, i.e., master or slave.
    - as a last resort, backup your data, reformat your HDD, and reinstall the OS. Only install those applications actually needed.

19. hexsneak

hexsneak Member

thnx thnx ill try this out this saturady thx!!!

20. Tony226

Tony226 Member

To all of you with the problem of a DVD burner that suddenly stops recognising blank media. All the advice on this site won't help most of you.

Whilst Laddyboy is trying to be helpful, he's obviously not very aware of what is going on, and has been for some time. It is actually a big problem for anyone who has been copying commercial movies or has downloaded such ISO files to burn. Many studios are putting damaging software (sometimes rootkits, sometimes hidden DLLs.) on their DVDs. Yes, even after the Sony case, it's still happening. These files may do any of the following:

A - Write to the registry, switching off some of the parameters of the CD/DVD players installed.

B - Overwrite malicious code to your burner, particularly if the burner is a Sony derivative, disabling its ability to recognise blank media.

To find out what might be happening, download Highjack This, from Trendmicro.com (http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/download) and try to identify any unusual entries in the registry. If that doesn't work, download a rootkit revealer from Sophos or Symantec. You will ikely find hidden DLLs on whatever drive you stored the copied ISO files.

If you have suffered case A, you will be able to recover with a full format of the windows drive and a reinstall. (Also reformat the drive where you stored the ISO, if a different one.)

If case B, you'll have to buy a new drive because generally the malicious software will have modified the drive ID, so a firmware update or reinstall won't work.

You may be able to get help by using the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal tools available on their website. They may help, although this problem is best fixed by someone who knows what they are talking about, and doing, since not all varients act in the same way.