1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning a 720 x 300 (2.35 to 1) to DVD

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by free377, Jun 21, 2018.

1. free377

free377 Member

I have an mp4 copy of The Light in the Piazza that plays properly on my laptop with VLC and through HDMI on my TV. The .mp4 file dimensions are 720 x 300, and it plays as 2.35 to 1, the original ratio. When I converted it to a DVD, by Converterlite, or also by Freemake, the file dimensions are 720 x 480.

So when I play the DVD in my DVD player it plays only partial frame. I can get it to be 2.35:1 by changing the DVD player TV TYPE setting to "4:3 Letterboxed" temporarily, and it looks great. So I can switch that, noted it, and it's fine.

But is there any way to get the DVD burned so the film plays automatically/permanently 2.35 to 1? When I rip and burn a regular film that is 2.35 to 1 (or 16:9, or 4:3), it always burns the ratio exactly the way the original DVD's ratio is.

Any ideas/explanations would be great! Thanks!

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

You need a program where you can manually set the resolution output & not use presets or check settings in freemake etc to force your res settings assuming they allow it.
    What's the reason you want to burn dvd's instead of just using a mp4 or mkv container & play from a hard drive or flash device

3. free377

free377 Member

yes, correct, exaxctly--what are such free programs or not? i can put on a thumb, adjust the dvd player temporarily (i have a sony bluray i use a usb thumb drive on, not sure THAT unit's settings can be adjusted similar to the DVD player, have not checked), and watch, or use an hdmi cable, but all the good things i save are on DVDs. i have many, and get blanks free, and films free, so there's that. lose a drive or it goes bonkers, you're screwed. not likely i would damage dvds, unless in a fire, say. thanks!

4. attar

attar Senior member

AVStoDVD will convert a 2.35:1 video to 16:9 DVD.
    The result will be a 720x480 (assuming it's set to output NTSC) widescreen movie with bars top and bottom when displayed on TV.

5. free377

free377 Member

Cool, pretty sure about that? When I tried on others it WAS 16:9 but with the sides cut off, ie, not blackbarred on top and bottom. Thank you!

6. attar

attar Senior member

G.I Joe 2.40:1 displayed on wide screen tv from DVD.

pix 001.