1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning a specific Dvd @8X when it should be 16x

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by maxxjulie, Dec 3, 2005.

1. maxxjulie

maxxjulie Regular member

I just had this wierd thing happen today when backing up a dvd. I use the newest Anydvd and DvdDecrypter to rip and burn. The dvd came out a while ago too so it doesn't have any new protection to mess things up. Anyway, I ripped it to my hard drive just like usual. Then when I popped in my 16x Verbatim +r it would only burn @8x. This has never happend before ever. I tried it again with five more discs and the same thing happened. I'm in the middle of a spindle of Verbatims and the media seems fine. I then swapped out my installed burner with a new burner I had in my closet(same exact model and firmware) and the same exact thing happened. So then I made a data disc with Nero of something else and the verbatim disc burned @16x. I ripped and burned a different dvd to see what would happen and it too burned @16x. Why won't my dvd burner burn @16 for that one particular dvd? It's already been successfly ripped to my hard drive so it doesn't make sense to me.

2. maxxjulie

maxxjulie Regular member

just to be clear, I mean a particular movie dvd. For some reason when I back up Chrono Crusade #4 it will only burn @8x. It's so odd. I tried it several times with 2 different burners(same model and firmware though) and it still burned @8x. Every other dvd movie I backup does 16x like it's supposed to. I can't find anyone online who's even had something like this happen to them.

3. andmerr

andmerr Guest

you do realise that you are burning way to fast.There is no media that is that durable and can handle the intense spinning etc

4x is recommended for a reason.

4. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Is Chrono Crusade #4 a gaming software? If it is you may have the answer. Personally I'm quite happy burning at 4x though I don't agree that burning at 16x for a movie is too fast. Can you give some evidence Andmerr?

5. andmerr

andmerr Guest

chrono crusade is an anime dvd , and not a game.Have the entire series.That disc in particular is 7.4 gig in length.I wouldnt of said it if i hadnt tried it.The initial outcome looks good but about half way through the disc there was some major pixelation.I'm assuming it was the disc: 8x is just to fast.

Tried it on memorex: got no where
    princos: got no where
    riteks: success but pixels
    ty's : the same

Curious to see if the when the higher media comes out how they are going to handle and whether or not they can handle it.

4x,8x,12x 16x or even more

6. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Wow, burning at 16X!! This is crazy, if your car can go up to 200MPH, are you going to drive at 200 to the fullest? Can you imagine what's going to happen next -- maybe accident, slip, flip, ticket, etc. However, the choice is yours to make.

I wouldn't even dare to go beyond 8X when I burned using high quality like Yuden, Verbatim and Maxell (made in japan). 4X is the best and safest, meaning "free of coasters".

7. maxxjulie

maxxjulie Regular member

16x has never been a problem for me. in fact, it's not the end result that I'm talking about. dvd plays fine. just wonder what could cause a dvd already ripped and decrypted to a hard drive to burn no higher than 8X speed when the burner and media are 16x?

8. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Alkohol and Andmerr - I don't see your point. The 16x burners are designed to burn at that speed, just as the 2x burners of 2 years ago were designed to burn at 2x - no one bought a 2x burner to burn at 1x, so I don't see the logic. Also burning rom such as Nero aswell as 16x blank discs are all capable of burning speeds of 16x. Transferrence of video data is nothing more demanding on a computers' system than increasing your download speed by increasing the bandwidth of your internet connection. A disc spinning in a 16x burner will hardly catch fire. Obviously if you have an old system with low memory you would be better off burning at a lower speed but if you have a modern system with plenty of RAM then you might aswell take advantage of what your system is capable of.

Maxxjulie - the problem with that particular disc probably has something to do with the way it was manufactured and the original write speed used. Nero now tries to avoid calibration errors which usually arrise when a burn is set at a much faster speed than that used for the disc you are trying to copy.

9. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@Discmania

You don't see my point? I said; "if your car can go up to 200MPH, are you going to drive at 200 to the fullest? Can you imagine what's going to happen next -- maybe accident, slip, flip, ticket, etc."

However, the choice is yours and I fully comprehend where you're coming from. In addition, when burning at 16X is more than likely to produce "coasters" instead of 4X.

10. maxxjulie

maxxjulie Regular member

you're more likely to die if you leave your home each day, but you do that don't you? I've run many quality scans with cd-dvd speed and almost all my lg burns have quality scores of 98 or 99. that's at 16x too. i don't think i've ever had more than one or two coasters in a 100 pack of dvd's either so 4x playing it needlessly safe.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2005
  11. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Here comes the evidences 4X vs 16X when burning scans. The choice is yours!!

This was burned at full speed 16X on Verbatim 16X DVD+R "Advanced Azo"
    [​IMG]

This is the top notch Verbatim 16X DVD+R "Advanced Azo" burned at 4X
    [​IMG]

Here's the famous genuine Taiyo Yuden burned at 4X
    [​IMG]

Here's the top notch Verbatim burned at 4X
    [​IMG]

Here's the Maxell High Grade by Hitachi (made in japan) burned at 4X
    [​IMG]

12. maxxjulie

maxxjulie Regular member

something is obviously wrong with your setup. i would post my scans if I hadn't already sold the only drive I had that works with cd-dvd speed. I've only seen a quality score that low when I burned a cheap 4x dvd-r at 12x with an nec burner. I've done about 20 scans with my lg with 16x dvd's and the lowest score I got was a 97 and I only got it once. Every other time it was a 98 or 99.

13. maxxjulie

maxxjulie Regular member

try the LG 4163 dvd burner. It's like 50 bucks online and I swear it's the best quality burner there is.

14. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Nothings wrong with my burner -- I've got tons (1,500) of backups under my burner without any "coasters" whatsoever. However, I will NEVER ever going to burn at 16X period. You can even ask creaky (our new Moderator) and Doc. aka kivory666, and I guarantee you that they'll definitely agree with me.

Here comes another prove.

Here's another one (and will be my last thank god) burned at 16X, Verbatim 16X DVD+R "Advanced Azo".
    [​IMG]

15. Discmania

Discmania Active member

alkohol - with those kind of scores at just 6x and 8x (not 16x as you have said - look at the bottom right speed box) there is obviously something wrong with your system. Either you are using fake Verbatims or more likely there is a problem with your burner. Do you have the latest firmware and have you updated your aspi layer? It would seem you do not have a 16x burner or the burner is not capable of burning at 16x (a fualt maybe), therefore your 'evidence' is obviously flawed.

16. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

LOL.... It's funny how people asking me, do I have the latest firmware? Are my genuine Verbatim "Advanced Azo" fakes? Is something wrong with my system? Is there something wrong with my burner? Hehehe... LOL Look at my signature and all these questions are down there.

Anybody wants to prove me wrong? Scan a few pictures of your successful 16X burned (I don't care what media you're using) with Nero CD-DVD Speed and post it here versus my scans of 4X burned from YUDEN000T02, MCC004 and MAXELL002. Of course, with only 2 PI Failures and 95 Quality Score, these are top notch period.

17. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i've been following this thread from the beginning, as ever so i can chip in where needed but i strongly suspect this thread is gonna be like flogging a dead horse. however i like the argumentative threads like this, with obscure burn speeds and obscure opinions/facts and figures. i'm gonna continue to sit back and chuckle along with this one, but alkohol and andmerr, between us 3 we have a heck of a lot of burning under our belt but we may well be wasting our time on this thread methinks :)

If ppl don't want to listen, we can't make 'em. i got another thread like this where i gave up with it at 2am this morn, where a guy is repeatedly disputing that his firmware is too old. the proof os there in the log but he still knows best. in fact alkohol you're on that thread too hehe.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2005
  18. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

alkohol came to me with this thread too, so i thought i would just make it brief...

this comes down to people being STUBBORN about "THEIR WAY" being the ONLY "best/viable" way...don't people ever think there is ALWAYS going to be SOMEONE out there that has MORE experience than yourself? someone that is MORE KNOwLedgeable than thou art? ever think it's possible that someone out there has a different approach that is BEttER than the one YOU are currently using? just because YOU believe in something does not make it "the best"

check my LAST post in this thread...people inherently have a choice in every matter, based on personal experience or whatnot, but to "claim" YOUR WAY is the BEsT wAY and ONLY way, and then go accusing others that do not follow ur ways that they are "wrong", you really need to STFU~!

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/265248

docTY

as creaky mentioned, for those that DO have a lot more experience than the people asking the questions/involved in this thread, it really IS a waste of time trying to share your wealth of knowledge to those that are NOT willing to even hear what you have to offer.

for those that believe, "it's MY way or the HIGHWAY", you will NEVER get anywhere in life, the world and all it's things DO NOT revolve around you, everyone is entitled to their own opinions of course, but to demand this of others, you deserve to be shot~ and i would personally love to be the one w/ the gun~

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Just because your drive will burn a cdr at 48x or 52x do you burn it at that speed? I'm sure I'm not the only one that has experienced playback problems (skipping) on a music cdr burned at max speed especially on sub par media. If I burn the same files back at a reduced speed playback is perfect. There's your evidence. I usually burn at 1/2 the speed the media is rated at and that applies to cdr's as well as dvd's. I will burn some top notch quality 8x dvd's at 8x but 8x is the absolute fastest I will burn at. My drive is capable of burning most 8x dvd media at 12x but tried a couple for shits and giggles and the errors were obvious on the scans although they did play back. I doubt they would play back error free in time.

To each their own but I value my backups and put some effort into making them as near to the original as I can without useing DL media thus the reason I use the best software on the market: DvdRemake and DvdRebuilder/CCE. I think that andmerr, alkohol, kivory, creaky, and myself have enough experience and backups under our belts that [bold]we do know what we are talking about.[/bold]

20. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

(you missed arniebear LOL)... what a team :)