1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning a specific Dvd @8X when it should be 16x

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by maxxjulie, Dec 3, 2005.

1. herplvr

herplvr Member

Sweet, I have been wondering why my DVD backups sucked. They would pixelate or stop for a few seconds every now and again. I didn't get a pic of the 16x one, but the quality was 10 with 28 failures! =/

Disc from same spindle, just burnt at 4x. The spindle is: Verbatim 16x Advanced AZO, DVD-R's.

Picture:

[​IMG]

Anyhoo, this is the first I burnt, however I have redone my LOTR Set all over and after 2 Disc's not one hiccup. Glad I stumbled on this thread when I was googling.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
  2. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@herplvr

I have the same Verbs "Advanced Azo" as yours, except mine are DVD+R simply because I love to book type them into DVD-ROM for one of my 3 years old all region Shinco dvd player.

Now that you've learned your lesson, keep up the good work and just burn them anywhere from 4X - 8X only -- remember don't go beyond 8X period.

Happy Holidays!!

3. herplvr

herplvr Member

What do you mean book type them? What does that do and why would I want to?

Sorry, just got the burner this past July and haven't really delved into burning much other than buying DVD Shrink and backing up my DVD's after extracting them with DVD Decrypter.

Only reason I started doing this is because I don't want my girlfriends 3 year old daughter chewing on my original dvd's again, provided she can even get her hands on any dvd's now.

4. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

herplvr
    I didn't see your post here as i thought this thread was dead. Here is your late reply:
    Booktyping is a way DVD+R media can be written to, to make systems reading it think it is a DVD-ROM, or like an original pressed movie. It can only be done on +R media as -R doesn't have the area to write the DVD-ROM identifier to. What this does for us is it allows the copy to be read on just about any machine that reads DVDs. You can change the booktype settings with a number of programs.
    In this thread, i showed the booktype settings with different programs:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/287469
    and some more on booktyping:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/258859
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/259299
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/258500

5. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

I have followed this thread with interest. Firstly, I don't need fancy tests to tell me that the faster speeds don't work. I do find this tests intriguing, so please continue. "Playback" is what's important to me. I have personal experience with media using 12x speeds. I do have many dvd players to test, and 12x speeds don't work in ALL players.

I wish to caution other members having playback issues. In my personal experience, using the "backup" to redo will NOT resolve playback issues. You need to use the "original" and then use slower speeds and good quality media.

6. bigt1

bigt1 Guest

@smsmike
    If you have OEM NERO just update package 1 & 2 not 3. The fancy stuff dosen"t cost anything.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2006
  7. herplvr

herplvr Member

@MaxBurn

Thanks for the reply, I had forgotten about the thread until I got the email notice.

Very concise reply and yet thorough, I appreciate your taking the time. It's good to know about that, as I have an older DVD player in my bedroom that won't play most backups, maybe this will solve that.

Regards, herplvr

8. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

Booktyping is THE way to go. Thats why i use +R format mostly. Gives the copied DVD the same compatiblity as a pressed original movie. Can't get much more compatible than that. Hope it works out well for you. Post again if you run in to problems.. It might take me awhile to get back to the thread, but i do check up on them from time to time to see if something is going on.

9. herplvr

herplvr Member

It's working out, I have bought some Verbatim +R's as well and it works great. Although I never had a problem using -R's, so I suppose it doesn't matter in my case?

10. Blighter

Blighter Regular member

Does it really give it the same compatibility as pressed DVDs? I would have thought that older DVD players would still have a problem reading some DVD dyes? And i also seem to remember playing a 16x Verbatim DVD+R (booktyped to ROM) on a PS2, but it crashed at the main menu, whereas the stamped one worked fine...

The backup seemed to work on other dvd players though...

11. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

Blighter
    DVD-ROM booktyping gives higher compatibility than the + or - format alone. A pressed DVD will read as
    Booktype is listed as DVD-ROM, and thats what we are trying to do with the +R format when we booktype. A burnt DVD+R booktyped to DVD-ROM will still not show up as pressed-DVD under Media code/Manufacturer Id as this is a pressed DVD, not a burnt one.

Many things come in to play when you start talking about burnt DVDs vs pressed ones. One of them is what brand/type of media, burn speed also comes in to play. Some standalones will not play some types of media, even if it is listed as a compatible format. So, yes, dye, burn speed come in to play. I guess a better way for me to phrase it would be booktyping to DVD-ROM gives you better compatiblility than not booktyping, and a pressed DVD shows a booktype of DVD-ROM. But a pressed DVD movie or game will probably be the highest compatiblity. For copies, DVD-ROM is the highest we can get.

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Maxburn,

Well said.

13. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

Hi Mort81 and thanks.
    It seems like the easy answers are the hardest to answer.. Huh? Made sense when i thought it, but looks like a contradiction when i type it.

14. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

couldn't have said it better myself...as hard as i try to explain certain things to people, it's funny how a simple straight-forward answer would do, but it's just not good enough, then you make it all detailed and elaborate, but in fact get your point across as it makes sense in your head, but when i type it out, it seems confusing to the person reading it~ LOL

see, my post was pretty confusing huh? but it makes sense in my head... LOL

all i had to say was, "i agree" and that would be that..but, nooooooo...i couldn't just say that...LOL

docTY~

15. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

LOL

Doc, You must be a surgeon, your a cut up!!! :) You've got me in stiches.. Ha ha ha..

16. SM1985

SM1985 Member

What's Up!? I just ran out of DVD+R and am looking to buy some soon. I've been reading up about how quality makes a difference. Should I get Verbatim or Imation? Also what disk speed should I get 16x or 8x, keeping in mind that my HP DVD Burner has a max writing speed of 2.4x? Finally, what speed should I burn my PS2 .iso at (1x, 2x, or 2.4x)? I would appreciate the help. Thanks!

P.S. Has anybody here successfully burned and played College Hoops 2K6?

17. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

If your drive has a maximum speed rating of 2.4X, use 8X discs. The 16X are more sensitive and may react too much to the slower 2.4X speed. Since 8X discs are being phased out, consider moving to a newer drive once you can't find 8X anymore.

18. SM1985

SM1985 Member

What's Up!? I appreciate the help. Yeah, I noticed how I see 8x less often. So does the same rule apply if I were to get a 4x DVD? Also what would the best speed to burn my PS2 .iso file be using my burner that has a max burning speed of 2.4x? Should I just burn at max speed or less? Any suggestions for what DVD media (Verbatim, Imation, etc.) that I should use? Thanks!

19. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

If your drive is limited to 2.4X, then the slower the disc rating, the better. Early 4X discs had a problem with the outer edge due to tilt problems. Later production was vastly improved, and 8X and 16X discs are much better (flatter) in that regard. It's nearly impossible to find 4X discs these days. 16X discs are less environmentally stable than 8X discs due to their greater sensitivity. On the other hand, some research points to recordings made at slow 4X speeds on 8X and 16X media to be less stable over time than recordings made at faster speeds. Although the burn marks are precisely on track and early scans show fewer PIE/PIF/POF errors, the mark edges may be overburned and prone to alterations that increase jitter and errors after being subjected to stresses of heat and humidity. (It's not the mark itself but its accuracy of length, uniformity, and edge precision that determines a good burn.) For your drive, always record at the maximum 2.4X speed and try to use 8X media. Afterdawn forum members rave about Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim as being excellent discs. They are right. They curse CMC discs and discs made with CMC's MID code (Imation, Memorex, TDK), ignoring the fact that CMC makes many of the Verbatim discs they praise and that the drives they list are notoriously deficient in supporting CMC MAG MID codes. A lot depends on your drive and its firmware support. You won't go wrong with TY or Verbatim, but the others may also work very well if your drive supports them.

20. herplvr

herplvr Member

Verbatim is tops, imation isn't all that great imo.

TDK is pretty good, my brother got some at costco 100 for $22, so far no coasters or bad ones after 26 discs.

Other than that, check out the media forum posts, there are all kinds of posts about quality media.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2006