buying a stand alone dvd player question

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by efxred03, Aug 14, 2005.

1. efxred03

efxred03 Member

Does anybody know of a good stand alone dvd player that will play burned dvd+r movies.
    I am looking for somthing that atleast $60.

2. dellsuck

dellsuck Guest

Toshiba SDK620. I had this dvd player for a long time and never had a problem. It can read dvd+r,dvd-r,dvd+rw,dvd-rw,dvd+dl.I bought it for $65 or maby $55 or $70. can't remember anyway i'm sure it's much cheaper now since the time has passed. Hope this helped.

3. efxred03

efxred03 Member

Thanks for advice.

4. MovieDud

MovieDud Guest

Just a suggestion, I would recommend the Sony DVP NS50P (Best Buy for $70.00) It plays everything (literally!) -/+ RW DL doesn't matter, it has progressive scan (if that is somehting you want for connection to HDTV or HighScan 1080 i Sony). I have one in our second media room. In the main Theater I have both Denon 2200 and another Sony (Has SACD included) I collect SACD and DVD Audio (primarily jazz, classical and misc.). I have been impressed with the Sony, and I even hooked it up to the HDTV 55 inch just to test the Progressive scan and qualtiy with Avia test Disk and Video Essentials test disk. Looks great, maybe not as smmoth as the Denon, yet $530.00 cheaper! try it out and if you don't like it take it back!
    MovieDud

5. efxred03

efxred03 Member

Thanks for the advice. I will check it out

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

How about the $37 wal-mart special:
    Magnavox MWD 200F

It's listed as playing dvd-rom/dvd+/- r/rw/CD-r/rw

Not list is dvd +r DL, but it plays mine perfect!

Can't beat the el-cheapos!

7. MovieDud

MovieDud Guest

@saugmon, I agree. Yes, I have high end components, yet it is amazing that my Sony's and Previous Toshiba play everything (My Denon plays the TY's, Verbs, and even the SOny's yet place junk media in and it stops, and will not play). Of course if your dealing with a big screen, with progressive scan player, then the nicer progressive scan chips in many of the new players are essential for smooth, movie-like image, especially on 16X9 HDTV.