Cable outlet in back of comp.

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by ninjanick, Apr 12, 2008.

1. ninjanick

ninjanick Regular member

Title says it all, but i have no idea how to use it. I plug in the cable cord but it doesnt show tv. do i need a program? if so can you tell me what one? thanks.

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Actually, the title tells nothing. You might want to start by stating exactly what you are trying to do, what cable you are talking about, etc.

3. ninjanick

ninjanick Regular member

sorry. well there is a cable tv port in the back of my computer where i can plug in the cable that gives you cable TV. But it doesnt show up (the TV channels) when i plug it in. Do i need a program to watch cable TV on my computer?

4. ninjanick

ninjanick Regular member

Still need help here..

5. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

I have never, ever, heard of a cable TV port on a computer. Are you quite sure it is a cable TV port? How do you know it is? What does it look like?

6. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Are you talking about this?

[​IMG]

If so, I believe you need a tuner and some sort of software to watch any cable tv.

7. ninjanick

ninjanick Regular member

Here it is
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Just as I suspected. Some type of software should have come with that card when you bought it. You will more then likely need that to watch any tv on your computer. Maybe someone else can chime in now that you have a real image (hope you guys aren't on dial-up) posted.

9. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

This is a TV/Radio tuner and video capture card

You just have to read what is written above each socket.

They are all inputs. What you call a "cable outlet" is atually an "antenna inlet". For an antenna. Like on your roof? Or rabbit ears. may be UHF or VHF. Read the manual to be sure. Not cable TV. Different type of signal.

From the top

- ANT IN (TV Antenna in)

- FM (Radio antenna)

- R/M (Remote inrared sensor)

- S/AV-IN (Video camera etc IN)

- AUDIO-IN (Microphone, or stereo other sound channel)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  10. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

What are you talking about dude, all you guys have been real @ssholes here. He obviously doesn't know what he's doing that's why he posted here. No need for your jerk @ss comments. How is he suppose to solve anything with what you posted, it just wasn't needed. He obviously knows that an rg-6 type cable goes into the coax connecter! He isn't getting video!!

11. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Cable TV plugged into antenna input = no TV viewing

12. ninjanick

ninjanick Regular member

Indochine don't tell me I cannot read. If you are going to be rude just go somewhere else. And i don't know how to use it because it came with the computer and it does not have a manual.

13. silk42

silk42 Regular member

As you've already been told, you have a TV capture card installed in your computer. Since it came with your computer, the drivers should already be installed. So, I'm going to assume that you don't need to install any drivers. What version of Windows are you using? If you have Windows Media Center, then you simply use the built-in software to watch TV. If you're using Windows XP, then you should have some kind of 3rd party software that came with the capture card. By the way, do you know what model the capture card is (Aver, Hauppauge, ATI, etc...)? You can view this by looking in the Device Manager, or simply looking at the physical card by opening the computer.

14. ninjanick

ninjanick Regular member

I went to windows media center and it said I didnt have a remote software installed? So what do I do now..

15. silk42

silk42 Regular member

I think it will work best if we take this one step at a time. Open up the system properties window on your computer by pressing the Windows key (bottom of your keyboard between Ctrl and Alt)and the Pause/Break key (top of keyboard usually next to Print Scrn and Scroll Lock keys) at the same time. Once the System Properties window opens, tell me what it says an the General tab under System. For example, mine says the following...

Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 2

16. ninjanick

ninjanick Regular member

Windows Vista home premium. 2006 edition.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  17. silk42

silk42 Regular member

Good, this means that you have Media Center built-in to your OS. Were you able to figure out which TV tuner card you have? Again, assuming that the TV tuner came with your computer, then it should be compatible with Windows Media Center.

The remote software install sounds like your TV tuner came with a remote control. If so, you may need to install some software to allow it to communicate with your computer. Again, if your computer came with a TV tuner, then the software should already be installed.

Here's a good link for some FAQs about MCE.
    http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/162529.aspx

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008