Camcorder: HD vs. mini DVD

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by LOCOENG, Nov 10, 2006.

1. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I'm looking to purchase new camcorder for X-mas but don't really know which one I should be considering. I like the idea of a HD based storage system, but have my doubts on the ease of capturing my images and home movies to my PC. As for the mini DVD I think this is another good idea except for toting around a bunch of blank mini discs. I know the quality for each one would probably be comparable, so I guess I'm looking for an ease of use explanation.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

The reality is completely the other way around. Getting your footage from a Hard Drive based camcorder is much easier then from a DVD based one. So if the choice is between these two types and these are your only concerns, the choice is obvious.
    Nevertheless, if you want to transfer to PC for editing, the best choice is still miniDV...

3. LOCOENG

I had done a little more research after posting this question and think I've made my mind up to get a HDD based camcorder. Would you recommend a JVC Everio G series camcorder?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

4. Jerryp48

Jerryp48 Member

Sony has 5 hard drive camcorders . New are SR40 and SR60 with 30GB HD and SR80 with 60 GB. Newest is SR-1 with 30 GB has best features including High Def but also uses new format to capture and currently there are no programs out there to edit video except the one that Sony provides with the camcorder.I have Panasonic GS-150 and two older Sonys.The Panasonic has POOR low light capture, the Sonys capture much better in low light and capture at 0 lux in nightshot mode with infrared.My next purchase will be Sony when the prices drop after fierst of year.Google the models for reviews

5. LOCOENG

Thanks for the information Jerry.