Can anyone tell me about external multimedia hard drives please ??

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by ajdublin, Nov 30, 2009.

1. ajdublin

ajdublin Member

Hi guys,

pretty new to this, so apologies if I have posted in the wrong place. I am trying to decide which multimedia hard drive is best for me. I know very little about them. but I would like one to store photos and music from my 40GB laptop which is filling up now.
    Also I would like to store loads of DVD'S on it, and be able to hook it up to my TV to look at them ( via HDMI I presume ). Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.

2. dreamer22

dreamer22 Member

External hard drives are now widely available. Walmart carries 650GB, 1TB & 2TB drives in my area. I just bought a 1TB for about $80. Many other computer accessory stores have them. The standard interaface is USB2. Small USB drives (under about 100GB)use the power from the motherboard that is supplied over the USB cable. Larger external drives come with a power supply that plugs into 120vac house power(you should plug it into the same surge protector you use for your PC). All three of the external drives I have came with a USB cable to connect the drive to your PC. As you are probably aware, compressed films in AVI format are about 600-800MB and uncompressed DVD's are usually about 4-8GB. Therefore, if you are a film collector, you probably want at least 1TB of drive space.