1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can i hook up my PS2 to the PC through a USB Cord?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by AFreak, Apr 3, 2006.

1. AFreak

AFreak Regular member

because if i want to patch a game, i need to know how to do this...is there an easy way to hook the thing up, not using ethernet or having to put the whole thing in my PC and moving files to and fro?

2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

No, you can't hook your ps2 to your pc through the usb ports.

3. ToxicFish

ToxicFish Regular member

Yes you can...
    The program is called fablink.

4. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

And you can download this where, exactly?
    I haven't seen any apps yet that enabled that kind of linking...
    And google comes up with FAPlink, which doesn't work with USB..

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2006
  5. steimy

steimy Active member

even if you can, i would not as the USB ports would be much slower than a CAT5 Crossover Cable anyway.
    If you have an empty eithernet slot on your PC then get a crossover cable which runs about $12 or less and hook it from the PS2 to the PC.

6. AFreak

AFreak Regular member

alright, do they sell CAT5 cables at Wal-Mart? usually when i buy an ethernet cord from Wally World it never works, if you could direct me to a CAT5 cable that you know works, id be really appreciative, also how do you transfer games back and forth using the CAT5? do you need a program?

7. ToxicFish

ToxicFish Regular member

I tried some time back to transfer files over a network connection and it is extremely slow. You transfer at like 1mb/s maybe 2. It is way less work and easier to transfer games through you pc itself. All you do is plug your PS2 HDD into your PC and run an app like Winhiip or HDL Dumb. From there you directly access your HDD and add, remove or edit your games. At the slowest, transfers go at 10mb/s. I have a pci ide controller on my PC and transfer games anywhere from 22-30mb/s.

If time is not an issue for you, you need two programs to transfer games. You need a PS2 side server and a PC side transfer app.

The popular apps to use are HDL Serv and HDL Dumb. If you have the latest version of uLaunchELF it can act as the PS2 server for you. All the apps you need are available at sksapps.com.

Basically, you run HDL Serv on your PS2 first. Make sure the network cable is connected before you run HDL Serv or else it will not work. Run HDL Dumb and connect to your PS2. It has been a while since I've used it, but it's pretty straight forward. Your IP for your PS2 will be displayed on your TV. It will either be 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.10. And that's it.

8. AFreak

AFreak Regular member

ok, thanks a lot...i believe i can figure it out...but is CAT5 just a normal ethernet cod?

9. ToxicFish

ToxicFish Regular member

Yeah, run of the mill stuff. You know you can get one made at most small computer places for way way less that what you'd pay at the store. You'll pay like 20 bucks or something stupid for a 10 foot cable. You can get that made for like 5 bucks at a networking place.

Also, you need to buy a crossover cable, not a patch cable. Crossover is made just for connecting from your PS2 to you PC. You'll use a patch cable is you have a hub or a router or something.

10. AFreak

AFreak Regular member

alright, well i have one plugged into my PC right now, couldnt i just take it out of there and plug it into my PC?

11. neiljames

neiljames Regular member

I have a few questions regarding some of the info. above. My PC uses a SATA drive, would I still be able to connect my PS2 IDE HDD to my PC? Oh and when transferring via network cable, will WINHIIP work? Oh and does the PS2 need to be connected to my TV and both the PS2 and TV powered up if I were to use HDL Serv and HDl Dumb ? Dumb question, I know but I'm a noob so bare with me please. Also I heard of a USB to IDE cable would that speed up the transfers at all? And does that mean I would have to have an USB HDD Enclosure or would it work from the USB ports available on the PS2? One last question, so is using HDLoader or HD Advance 3.0 the slowest way to transfer games to the PS2 HDD? Thanx in advance to anyone willing to help me with my problems.

12. ToxicFish

ToxicFish Regular member

Hmmm... What do you have connected to it? Do you have a network already up and running? If so, then yes, you should be able to just plug it in and run the apps.

13. ToxicFish

ToxicFish Regular member

Hey neiljames,
    I'm going to give somewhat brief answers to your questions. If you want more detailed answers, I'd probably be best to start another thread.

On some of the new computers that I've worked on that use SATA drive, they still support IDE devices. Usually they have the CD drives connected to them. So if you want to connect your HDD to your pc, you'll probably have to disconnect a CD drive and use it's cable.

Winhiip will eventually support data transfers over a network cable, but currently it does not. You will need to use a program like HDL Dumb. When working with HDDs connected to my PC though, I prefer Winhiip to HDL Dumb due to some added features like correct partion problems and things like that.

It is a pain to connect your PS2 to your TV and computer at the same time (which is why I don't like network data transfer also). It is not necessary, but you should do it atleast when you are first starting you transfer to verify the PS2's IP and that the server has been started.

A USB to IDE cable would be nice, but I wonder how you would supply power to the HDD. If it is though the USB connection itself, I wouldn't trust it. That's a lot of power draw from the USB controller... Not really a safe thing to do. If it has it's own power inverter, that'd be nice and convenient. Cost is an issue though. Since it is not necessary to do the data transfer, I wouldn't buy it. If it saves you time and you have money to burn, go for it.

HDLoader and HDAdvance are not data transfer applications, they are image loaders for you PS2. They have nothing to do with transfer speed. Between the two loaders though, HDLoader is better. I say that because I've seen more updates available for it.

14. neiljames

neiljames Regular member

Hey thanx alot ToxicFish. Yeah Cost is totally an issue for me dude. Oh yeah and I googled a USB to IDE cable and it's just a normal USB cable with an IDE connection on the other end, no power support whatsoever. AS for the SATA and IDE question , I called gateway and they said my PC would not support an IDE. But they didn't say if I was able to maybe disconnect a CD drive and use it's connections. I am gonna call them back and ask. But if it is possible would disconnecting a CD/DVD drive fusk up my PC? Or how about when I reconnect, what will happen? Well I really don't want to use the Network way but it seems like my only option other than HDLoader or HDAdvance 3.0. Hey ToxicFish is there anyway that HDLoader or HDAdvance 3.o can load backups?

15. neiljames

neiljames Regular member

Hey evryone check out this link: http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/review/brando_usb_2_0_to_sata_ide_cable

So it is possible to use an USB to IDE cable with a power adapter. I seen one for $12.50 at geeks.com with the power adapter included. I think I might have just solved my problem. LoL. Oh, by the way ToxicFish I am able to do what you said regarding the IDE CD Drive thingy. So I'm going to connect the PS2 HDD through my PC first, untill I can get enough mulla for the USB to IDE cable with power adapter. I have one question tho', Does WINHIIP support USB transfers? If not does anyone know of any Programs that allow transfers via USB? Thanx in advance.

16. ToxicFish

ToxicFish Regular member

Removing or adding any drive from your computer will not harm it in anyway. You motherboard has something that is called a BIOS which is kind of like software that handles what is connected to your computer. If you add or remove any hardware to your computer, the BIOS will update itself with the changes that are made.

As long as your computer has an IDE connection on it, it will support all IDE devices, including your HDD.

The only think that you need to worry about is voiding your warranty with Gateway. If your case has a seal on it and it is broken, then your warranty will be void. Check on your warranty status before opening your case.

HDLoader and HDAdvance are not the only option that you have for loading backups off an HDD in you PS2. Your other option is the Toxic OS from DMS. In order to use that though, you need to install a DMS chip in your PS2.

Actually, HDLoader and HDAdvance were derived from the code that DMS created. In the beginning, the DMS Team accused PS2OWNZ.com for stealing the code but it was some weird conspiracy. PS2OWNZ did not take credit for the work that was done. It ended up turning into a game of pass the potatoe.

Since DMS's code pretty much advocates piracy, how could they sue anyone if basically they are breaking the law. Weird huhh...

HDAdvance came along with a minor adaptation to HDLoader's code. HDAdvance was the first to support 48 bit LBA. If you don't know what that is, it pretty much means that it will let you use a HDD bigger than 137.4GB. HDLoader quickly went in the lead by not only support 48 Bit LBA, but also allowing for assorted bug fixes and the ability of playing unpatched dual layer games.

I guess that's it for the little history lesson. If I'm wrong on any of this, someone please correct me. This is just off the top of my head.

17. ToxicFish

ToxicFish Regular member

Pretty nifty gadget you found... No idea on the USB thing though. Never was interested enough to research it. I just ran into it on a forum post somewhere sometime back. Getting a TV close enough to my computer, or vice versa, would be a B-itch and a half.

Getting a usb cord long enough to make the transfers is a pain too. I think after 15ft you need a repeater or else you will get signal degradation. Too much work in my book.

18. neiljames

neiljames Regular member

Very interesting... I am completly new to all this stuff, I mean all of it. So ToxicFish, I'm not sure if I asked the question right regarding using HDLoader or HDadvance 3.0 to load backups. I meant to ask if it were possible to load the backups on to the PS2 HDD using either software? Oh and about the USB to IDE cable I was reading on some forum that a lot of people were having problems with it. The only thing about that, is that the forums were dated in 2004, so who knows how much has changed since. Well anywayz anyone who is willing to provide me with some info regarding any of the questions I have, You will be rewarded 100 fold. Just Kidding LoL. but your help will be appreciated. Thanx.

19. neiljames

neiljames Regular member

No, no, no ToxicFish you take the PS2 HDD to the PC. LoL. Here is another link: http://www.buyextras.com/usb20toidead.html

Maybe you'll get a better understanding of what the USB to IDE cable is all about. LoL. Tell me what you think about it. Oh yeah, the rep. at Gateway told me that connecting the PS HDD directly into the PC via the CD Drive would allow the same Transfer rates as using the USB ports. Because she recommend that I get a USB enclosure. But she did say it will work the way you described.

20. ToxicFish

ToxicFish Regular member

HDLoader or HDadvance don't save the games to your PS2... They only run them.

It might be better if you search through some of the current thread and search for HDLoader help or something. This will give you a better grasp on what the programs do and how they work. If you have any questions afterwards, I'd be happy to help.

Just be sure to ask your question in a new thread. If you havn't read the forum rules, that might be a good place to start also.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2006