Can i just swap an Xbox HDD for another xbox HDD

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by aceN00bie, Jun 15, 2005.

1. aceN00bie

aceN00bie Member

Hi i am getting error 16 on my xbox and want a cheap and easy way to fix it. I was thinking of getting a cheap xbox HDD from ebay and putting it in my xbox. My only question is, since it is not the original HDD will the replacement still unlock on the boot sequence?

[bold]Note:[/bold] I don't want to buy a mod chip to fix it and i don't have the unlock key for this HDD.

2. jabberjab

jabberjab Member

if you put a new hdd in your xbox it wont boot from original xbox dash unless it is locked to your xbox board.... to lock the board you will need to use configmagic or similar prog.... and as far as im aware you need a modded xbox to run the software to lock it.... an unmodded box wont work unless the drive is locked to it....

3. aceN00bie

aceN00bie Member

Thanks for the info, yah i was asking around in some chat rooms, they told me the same thing, i think i am just gonna get a chip for it. Do you know if the spider is any good? I don't wanna solder anything.

4. jabberjab

jabberjab Member

there are many good chips out there nowadays.... most come with solderless solutions..... EXECUTER chips i find to be the best but its really up to the individual

5. mdsup

mdsup Guest

spiderchip's are terrible, just read through these forums and listen to all the problems people have had with them.

1.0-1.5 go with x2.6, x3 or xenium
    1.6 go with xenium spice