1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I load from USB in Homebrew Channel?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by atheistbu, Aug 2, 2009.

1. atheistbu

atheistbu Guest

I've recently installed the Homebrew Channel using the softmod guide in these forums. I've been using an SD card so far for everything, but
    I'm wondering if there is a way to use a USB drive instead?

I've searched in these forums (couldn't find) and online, but so
    far I've heard about USB Loader, which I read is illegal. So my
    question is, what exactly do I have to do to to the homebrew channel
    to upload from a usb drive instead of an SD card?

Apologies if this has been answered before in the forums, and ANY
    help is greatly appreciated.

2. AMatthews

AMatthews Regular member

I don't have any experience with it since I just load all of my apps from the SD card but the changelog of the Homebrew Channel does say "USB support added" starting with 1.0.2 so I imagine that you would be able to do it with either 1.0.2 or 1.0.3

If your drive is partitioned, the partition with the apps would likely have to be primary.

3. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Do you have a Backup loader like WiiGator or NeoGamma to boot backup disc?

4. atheistbu

atheistbu Guest

Thanks for replying, but I've actually gotten it all solved.

It seemed that when I was just used the USB the reason Homebrew wasn't loading it properly was because of the way the folders inside were put. So I just copied everything from my SD to my USB and it loaded perfectly afterwards.

Thank you for your help and replies though. :)

5. bilscrobe

bilscrobe Regular member

Hey 1st I wanna say that I used come here all the time and find answers in the forums as a guest, so I decided to join up today, and ask for help, on this similar issue.

I have an external hard drive that I partitioned into WBFS (to use the usb loader)and exFat32 (in hopes of using this space to run my home brew apps through) I haven't gotten the home brew apps to work though, my wii won't read my hard drive in home brew channel.

Any suggestions?

6. bilscrobe

bilscrobe Regular member

n/m I figured it out, nothing like a whole day of trial and error to fix a problem :p

If anyone else has this problem let me know if I can help

7. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Why not help now so those that might need this information knows it right away instead of letting you know and waiting for your reply.

8. bilscrobe

bilscrobe Regular member

oh ya, u make a good point :)

Alright the way I did it was I had to re partition my drive into FAT32.
    I wanted to make a 50g partition, but windows wouldn't let me (apparently for that size you need to make a exFAT32, witch I'm guessing the wii wouldn't read) so what I ended up doing was creating 2 FAT partitions each 25 gb along with my WBFS partition as the rest of my space.

after I plugged everything back into the wii, it works like a charm, though the usb drive is a little slower to boot then the sd card was for homebrew. I cant say I have any complaints now

9. wiisel247

wiisel247 Regular member

I'm trying to do the same thing. I have my 1TB hd partitioned in 500gb, one is WBFS the other FAT32. I already have some movies, music and tv shows on the FAT32 partition. Can I just copy and paste the files for homebrew from my SD card and have them work as though they were on the SD?

10. bilscrobe

bilscrobe Regular member

It's what I did, but for some reason I have to load the homebrew channel twice now in order for it to read the usb drive for my apps. after the second time it seems to work fine. Give it a try and see if the same thing happens to you, I'm curious to whether it's just my drive or not.