1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can it be done? using a Opus/falcon PSU on a XENON/Zephyr unit

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by stealthdf, Dec 11, 2008.

1. stealthdf

stealthdf Regular member

here is my dilemma.

Bought a RROD system with intentions of repairing for my nephew as a gift. I know giving a broken gift that has been fixed kinda tacky i know but he knows the story and is just happy to get a 360 so its ok.

I bought the consoles for 40 bucks and it had no HDD and no Controller but did come with the PSU brick and the video cables.

when i picked it up from the guy i checked to make sure everything was there and we parted ways. when i got home i discovered that the guy had gotten RROD on this box and he went out and bought a new arcade unit to replace it. Thats why he didnt include controller or HDD cause he kept to use on his new arcade unit that of course has no HDD. I would have done the same. But instead of packing up the RROD system with the cables that came with it originally he just took the new arcade unit out of the box and put the RROD unit in the new arcade units box without swapping cables. for him this was good cause the old power supply will work on the newers systems fine as the PDB simply adjusts power levels and what not. But for me this is bad news cause the newer falcon PSU does not fit into the older Xenon unit. see picture it shows the power input on the console. http://www.360drives.com/images/boards_power_connector.jpg

as u can see the xenon has a post in the middle while the falcon does not. so when u look at the PSU output plug that goes into the 360 the new falcon PSU has a piece of plastic in the center so it will not fit into the Xenon unit.
    I was thinking maybe i could just snap off the post in the xenon unit and then the plug would fit but i do not know if this post has any function such as a ground(i doubt it) or maybe just an attachment point. Also if i did get it to physically fit would it be able to power the console since the newer PSU is rated at 175w while the older one made for the xenon was something like 203-250 i think. or should i be looking at the amps not the wattages? would the unit be able to play fine or would it be at risk for further damage?

2. stealthdf

stealthdf Regular member

Anyone have any idea at all? even a guess?

3. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Powering a 203w 360 with a 175w brick will just damage the 360. I'd call the guy and tell him. If he tells you "tough $hit", then tell him you know where he lives and it'd be cheaper to just swap the correct bricks then to have to replace his tires.

4. stealthdf

stealthdf Regular member

lol yea i figured as much, but i dont know where he lives(guess he doesnt know that maybe) but i do have his phone number still so i could threaten to go all private eye on him and do a reverse lookup.
    thanks for the reply.

5. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

You could just call him and explain the situation. Most people don't know anything about electronics so it could just be a random mistake. I wouldn't get too angry if you don't have to, you might just be frustrating yourself. If he doesn't cooperate then you can buy another one or trade one to gamestop. I'm sure they'd be willing to trade with you if yours tests in good working order.

Either way call him and let us know what happens.

6. stealthdf

stealthdf Regular member

i see your point you are correct. however i was in contact with the guy and he said he would swap with me but it had to be on a weekend cause he works and has classes during the week. completely understandable, but since then he hasnt responded to any of my emails or anything so i dunno. but trying to trade in at gamestop is an idea. i mean it is a brand new untouched unused PSU so they should trade with me i would think

7. Memnock

Memnock Active member

They could take it, but I'd doubt they'd do an even swap. A 203w power supply can be used with any 360 while a 175W obviously can not.

8. renickdp

renickdp Member

My brother snapped the tip from the xbox and he is using a 175w on a 203w xbox with no problems, i dunno if it's safe but he had no problems so far and it's been almost 2 years.

Anyone else tried it?

9. wabashman

wabashman Active member

i say kill the guy

10. miketrev

miketrev Regular member

Dont do this, your brother is the lucky one. This will damage the console as has been said.

This method is tried & tested and I can vouch for this.

11. eebeejay

eebeejay Regular member

Yeah you could just hit him once with the power brick and wipe off the fingerprints.