Can Someone Recommend A Dvd Player **

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by ofield, Sep 14, 2006.

1. ofield

ofield Regular member

Hi,

My parents just ordered a 72 inch Toshiba Dlp HDTV.
    Can anyone recommend a good dvd player to go with it.
    What about dvd players that upconvert. I've heard Oppo
    is the best, but can't find any reviews on it other than
    on Amazon.com

Thanks everyone...

2. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

There are some cheaper upconverting players than Oppo that also do excellent work but the Oppo is considered one of the best, if not THE best, and will give you results close to that if not equal to HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, depending on who you ask.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Hello Ofield!

Here is a review of the Oppo OPDV971H from Clint DeBoer at audiohaulics ... my favorite reviewer:

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/oppoDV971Hdvdplayer1.php

I think the review pretty much says it all ... the pic is just awesome. It upconverts through the DVI only, not component (but I think all upconverting units are like that. I bought it after reading the review; I bought it for my bedroom with my Denon in the living room but have since switched; I now have the Oppo in my living room and the much more expensive Denon in my bedroom. The Denon is built a lot better and costs quite a lot more but I still prefer the pic on the oppo ... its very clear and sharp, and its unusually smooth and steady. I'll tell you right out, I HATE the remote...its hard to see, the buttons are sort of cramped together and too small ... the remote sucks. I'm going to get a universal to control it with but haven't gotten around to it.

Also, the product manual is badly written. If you know a little about DVD players and its internal menus, you're fine but it might be confusing otherwise.

It could have been built a little more solidly and the player's menu look sort of cheap when displayed.

I know it sounds like I'm putting it down a lot but it's really an awesome pic, the DVI upconversion works like a charm ... and I can't imagine finding a better player for 200.00

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2006
  4. ofield

ofield Regular member

Yes Hi, I am a proud owner of my OPPO DVI to HDMI player and has
    absolulotly no complaints, using it with my Panasonic 26 HDTV,

But the DLP tv my parents ordered from Topshiba claims to have 1080p,
    while mine tv and dvd player only have 1080i.

So my question is , should they get the Samsung Upconvert HD player - DVDhD960 which claims to convert to 1080p.

One more quick question, can you connect analog cable thru S Video to get a better picture. I read a article in Consumer Reports, and it said analog cable looked fair, but looked
    good thru S Video.

Thanks again everyone.. By the way this is a 72 inch set and I'm
    having trouble finding a stand for it. Are there any budget tv stands.

Thanks Alotttttt......

5. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Hi Ofield ... yeah, I like my oppo too. It's kid of cheaply made in some ways, but picture is awesome!

Frankly, I don't know how to your answer about 1080i upconversion of the Oppo to the 1080p of the Toshiba. There is a guy "Ced" with the user name of "diabolos" in the displays forum who I'm sure will have the answer; the man's amazing. I'll ask him to answer your question; curious to know myself.

You wrote that the samsung is HD. Maybe Ced will explain how the upconversion works as well ... upconverting from 480i to 1080i doesn't mean its a high def picture... Ced's explanation was facinating and made perfect sense though frankly, I don't remember it lol! .....Gerry

Edit: Oh by the way, you asked:
    I think what you were reading was this: when it comes to the analog video signal, the quality of the video signal comes in this order (from lowest quality to highest):

1. Composite (REC cable / usually has yellow plastic or yellow stripe)

2. S-Video

3. Component (three cables color coded red, green and blue).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2006
  6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

No. With video processing as good as in your Toshiba 72" the picture would most certainly be better if you let the expensive TV do the job of converting the picture to 1080p instead of a cheaper external player. I'm not saying that the $200 Samsung player is bad I'm saying that your $5,000 TV is a better choice.

Your best solution would be to connect a DVD player that can output a great progressive scan image like the Oppo via HDMI and let the tv do the rest.

Its all about how good your tv set's Video processing is. In your case, its very good.

I can go into detail about what makes a picure good if you want me too.

Yes, Super-Video is the best connection for video on a digital cable box.

High-def boxes will have connections better than that though, which are: Component Video and HDMI/DVI. In your case, you need to upgrade to their HD service and connect to your tv set's 2nd (or 1st) HDMI with your HD-cable box.

More on cables...
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/341522
    Scroll to the bottom of the page.

I hope that helps some,
    Ced

7. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

samsung 860