Can`t find iso file

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by deezalboy, Jul 13, 2010.

1. deezalboy

deezalboy Regular member

On Windows 7, In DVD Shrink i backed up an iso image file-"c:(name of movie).iso" but now i cant find the file. In Windows XP it`s easy to find. Could you help please?

2. RastaDave

RastaDave Regular member

Go to Start->in search bar type .iso

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

That would be *.iso

4. deezalboy

deezalboy Regular member

Thanks. The iso file is supposed to be in c:\(name of movie) .iso but still can`t find it in Windows 7. In XP start>my computer>open and it`s in c.

5. deezalboy

deezalboy Regular member

I`m still trying to find the iso file in Windows 7. As i said, i did it through DVD Shrink and it was C:\(name of movie).iso, but when i look for it to burn, i thought it would be in "C" like Windows XP, but it is not there. Does someone know how to find it please?

6. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

have you checked your personal folder? Sometimes windows apps like to hide your output files somewhere in there. You could also try a working search tool (microsoft's tool in windows 7 is terminally broken...it does not find what you search for, but it does get false results that don't match what you searched for...and it uses simply astounding amounts of processor power, ram, and hard disk access; even when it isn't searching or indexing...the first step to making windows 7 fast and stable is to completely remove the search feature, and replace it with an aftermarket one)

Microsoft needs to port the XP64 search tool to win7 x64...that was a great search tool that did everything you could want, and it did it fast, with minimal system resources used while searching, and no resources used when not searching (as long as you disabled indexing, it would not index. On win7, you can disable and then uninstall the indexer...and it still indexes, even in folders that you tell it not to index!) Windows 7 might be the best windows since 2000...but that does not change the fact that it is a buggy microsoft product, and microsoft refuses to fix the bugs...we are still waiting for the bug fixes that were there in the launch of XP MCE...not only did they never fix these massive problems, but they were still there in Vista...now they are fixed in Windows 7, but MCE requires the search indexer, and the search indexer is broken!!!!!

7. deezalboy

deezalboy Regular member

Thank You. Have a google and there`s others having this problem. "can`t find iso file Windows 7".

8. deezalboy

deezalboy Regular member

I tried *iso search and the following came up>>"location ISO1_dvd(c:\users\admin\my documents", but the iso not in there, checked everything.

9. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Have you tried just ripping a dvd? It might still be pointed at the folder you used last time.

10. deezalboy

deezalboy Regular member

I went to Windows 7 forums and the answer, it appears, is as follows>>"Well its because you had the application save it to the root of the C: drive.
    So in reality it is not in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore

What you should have done is told the application to save it to your documents or
    desktop". Interesting, although some of you probably have been touching on the other folder already.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  11. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Oh...so this is all because you forgot to turn of UAC? Why does microsoft put in so many things that must be turned off before you even install drivers?

UAC (caused this problem)
    Search Tool (has not worked since XP!)
    Indexer (never worked; a really dumb concept to begin with..."Lets make an index of all the files and all their contents, so that search tool does not need to search through so many files" "But then the search tool has to search through an index just as big?" "No, the index is tiny, and contains none of the information...that way, when you search for something, it does not find anything because it only searches the index" "So why would we want this?" "Well, we will tie it into every app we make, to guarantee that none of them will be able to find anything")
    Windows Firewall (completely useless; does not even block SVChost)
    Windows Defender (useless; by the time you get a definition update, the malware has already taken hold to the point that malware remover can't do anything about it)
    DNS Client (you don't need this; all it does is to cache domain names...so that the next time you go to a website, it pulls up the old record of where it once was, rather than the record of where it currently is...I have never found any use for this tool in any circumstance...it just causes errors)
    Security Center (malwarebytes is a security center...this is just an app to complain at you when you disable their junk apps to use better 3rd party apps)
    windows error reporting (microsoft has never replied to anything I sent them through this tool; I think it is a bit like sending a letter to Santa)
    Windows Time (this is not the clock; this is the tool that autosyncs your clock with a microsoft clock that is often off by an hour or more)

...of those, the only one of any use is the search tool; and it crashes the system if you have enough files to actually necessitate a search tool! I really wish microsoft would bring back the XP search tool, and throw away the rest of this crap.

12. deezalboy

deezalboy Regular member

Thank You, but a bit too technical for me, but i do agree with some of your comments, particularly about Windows XP. I find Windows 7 harder to use than Windows XP. Cheers

13. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

And the reason that you upgraded to Win 7 is?

14. deezalboy

deezalboy Regular member

The Windows 7 is not mine. They tried to go too fancy. Simplify is good.

15. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

It isn't like you have a choice in the matter; my outdated laptop has too much memory to use XP x86...it was not written to last in the 64bit era, and we are well into the 64bit era.

Once you see you need x64, you have very little choice:
    XP64 - Terrible drivers, on the rare occasion that you can find drivers at all. Plus most every feature is about half broken. It might actually be a worse OS than vista.

Vista64 - Vista sucks, in all forms. It was like a pre-alpha release of windows 7...except they charged for it.

Win7x64 - The only other choice; other than Linux and OSX...and those don't support most apps. It isn't a good OS; just the best of 3 bad options.

16. deezalboy

deezalboy Regular member

To whom it may concern-I found the "iso" files. Hope it helps others. Windows 7>>Solution as follows>>> FOUND those hidden .iso files.>> go to computer/local disc C and then click on "compatibility files" at top on toolbar, in there are the HIDDEN .ISO files...Enjoy like i am. Cheers

17. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Thanks for coming back and letting us know.

18. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

And how many applications do you have that actually use X64 architecture?

19. deezalboy

deezalboy Regular member

[​IMG]

20. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Solidworks, AutoDesk and Photoshop for starters...those are all ram hogs. Plus, an app does not need to be x64 to take advantage of more than 4GB of memory; example:

Your system has 8GB system ram and 1GB Video ram. If you had a x86 OS, then the total amount of system memory available would be 3GB, and a lot of that is used by windows...so you really only have 1-2GB available for everything else. Since these apps are x86, they support 4GB of memory, and thus they are only getting 1/4 - 1/2 of the ram they can use...and that is assuming you are not multitasking.

Now, take the same computer with the same apps, and put x64 on it. You now have 8GB system memory, 1-2GB is still used by the OS, so you have 6-7GB left over. This gives you 4GB to throw at a program, and another 2-3GB to use for multitasking. Even doing this with just 4GB would give a boost, as the most system ram you can have with a 1GB video card and a x86 os is just 3GB.

Honestly, if it were not for netbooks, I would think Microsoft was crazy for releasing a x86 version of windows 7.