Can U copy downloaded XBox games 2 DVD?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by bitbybit, May 9, 2006.

1. bitbybit

bitbybit Member

All my Xbox games I bought over the years got lost when I left my bag on the train, so I decided to get my XBox modified and download all my lost games. I’m guessing I am not breaking any piracy laws as I have all the receipts for these games still.

Anyway, this is what I’m trying to do and the problems I’m facing.

Can you copy games downloaded onto a DVD to play in a chipped XBox?

These are the steps I took...

1) I used the below link to find a safe working XBox game ID.

http://www.nforce.nl/index.php?switchto=nfos&menu=sections&sectionid=11

2) I then used www.torrentspy.com to download it.

3) I then used Nero 7 to burn the ISO file on to a Mr DVD, DVD+R disk.

Have I done something wrong? Both games I’ve downloaded don’t seem to read in the XBox.

Do I need to use better quality disks, or maybe special XBox disks?

Maybe there is a certain way to burn the ISO files in Nero to work on the XBox?

Please Please can someone post detailed step by step instructions on how to get downloaded ISO files of games to work on a chipped XBox via DVD.

Many thanks

Steve :eek:)

2. shademand

shademand Regular member

If they are already in ISO form then use Nero Image burning feature, I suspect the issue is your type of media you should be using DVD-R.

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  3. steimy

steimy Active member

i would tend to agree, cheap media does not usually work very well.

But with an ISO you simple use the image burning program under the DVD tab in Nero Startsmart (the icon looks like a DVD with a match on fire) and burn the ISO to DVD and your chipped Xbox should play it.
    If you want to save media you can buy a $12 crossover cable and get a free FTP program. Once you get it all set up correctly and are able to connect the PC to the Xbox and get the FTP program to make the connection you can use a program like Craxtion4 or Qwix to FTP it directly to the harddrive and play it from there.

Upgrading your hard drive is a real good idea, then you can store all your games on it and just burn discs to keep as back ups.
    It is very easy and with a chipped system even the neebie can do it with a few simple tools and an auto installer disc you can download for free like Slayer 2.6 or AID (Auto Installer Delux)

If you want more info on upgrading a hard drive let me know and i can link you to a great, easy to follow set of instructions.

4. bitbybit

bitbybit Member

Thanks for the replies.

I have a 200gb hdd, so decided to scrap the DVD burning and use FTP as I already have an Crossover RJ45 Cable.

I spent most of the day learning how to get games on via FTP. I found that there were not many tutorials on how to do this and they were not clear, so I made my own tutorial along the way. This is how I did it today 09/May/06 :eek:)

Please note: I am way to tited to spell/typo check this and please feel free to copy/modify it to use in other places.

There are areas of this tutorial that have been simplified in order to shorten this article. If you have trouble with any of the programs on this tutorial; please visit their web sites for more detailed tutorials.

This tutorial requires a tiny bit of computer/Xbox knowledge, some common sense, a modified Xbox, windows XP and the following programs/equipment

----------------------------------------------------------

Equipment

RJ45 Crossover cable (if not using a router)

Programs (all are freeware or 30 day trail)

• Azureus.exe http://azureus.sourceforge.net or similar
    • Magic ISO www.magiciso.com or similar
    • FlashFXP www.inicom.net/pages/en.ffxp-home.php
    • WinRar www.rarlab.com

Method

1) Go to http://www.nforce.nl/index.php?switchto=nfos&menu=sections&sectionid=11 and find a valid Xbox game ID (name). This site lists the know games available to download and reports ones which don’t work.

2) Once you have found the ID of the game you want got to www.torentspy.com or similar site and search for it (be careful of similarly named files)

3) Once you have downloaded your file you may need to extract it using Winrar. So that you are left with an ISO file, then use Magic ISO to extract the ISO to a folder you should name the same name as the game.

Now that you have your files extracted you’re ready to put the game onto your Xbox.

Putting games onto a DVD is a pain in the backside. You need high quality disks, a program that will burn it a 1x speed and even then it’s not guaranteed to work. The best, quickest and cheapest way, is to FTP it to your Xbox.

How to FTP it:

1) Connect the RJ45 crossover or Router to your Xbox and PC
    2) Set the IP address on the Xbox in your Xbox settings to 192.168.0.2
    3) Set the Subnet Mask on the Xbox to 255.255.255.0
    4) If not already done, name your Xbox Username and Password both to “xbox”
    5) Go to Network Connections on your PC and right click on the Ethernet connection and select properties.
    6) In properties double click on “Internet protocol (TCP/IP)”
    7) Now select “Use the following IP address” and ender 192.168.0.3 into the IP address box and 255.255.255.0 in the subnet mask box.

Now you will have to start up Flash FXP and follow these steps:

1) Pres F4 to open Site Manager
    2) Create a new site
    3) For “IP Address”, type “192.168.0.2”
    4) For “Site Name”, type “XBOX”
    5) For “Username”, type “xbox”
    6) For “Password”, type “xbox”
    7) Now restart your computer and Xbox.

Once your computer has restarted load Flash FXP back up and select the XBOX connection and press connect.

If all has gone to plan, you should now see the Xbox folders. Follow these steps to get your game on the Xbox and working.

1) Navigate in Flash FXP to the Xbox Folder named F/games.
    2) Now copy (drag and drop) your games folder (Ice Age 2) to this folder.
    3) Wait for the whole folder to copy over then restart your Xbox.

You should now have you game working. Once you get used to it, it only takes 5 mins.