Canon MD205 not working with XP

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by mujabum, Jul 4, 2008.

1. mujabum

mujabum Member

Hello
    I am trying to capture some video from my Canon MD205 using the firewire and windows movie maker but the automatic driver didn't work. the last message I got was something like "this device may not work properly".
    I have tried to find a driver using Driver Detective to no avail.

I'm stuck! Any suggestions please?

Thanks - Matt

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Shouldn't be any drivers that you need to be able to capture. Does your computer see your Canon?

Try a different program to capture. WinDV is free, and if it doesn't see the Canon, then you may have something wrong with the playback of your camcorder.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  3. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

Go to microsoft downloads and get KB885222 and run it. It is supposed to fix problems with XP and firewire.

4. mujabum

mujabum Member

Thanks both,
    I tried both things but they didn't work!

the KB885222 was an older update than what I have already so it said it was unneccessary to install it!

Win Dv couldn't detect a device to capture from.

I plug it in to the firewire, XP makes the sound that sates its plugged in but I can't find the device anywhere so I'm convinced its something to do with the drivers....!!

I will keep trying. Matt

5. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Have you installed the firewire fix, by Microsoft, after installing the SP2 patch? You can find it, here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222

Edit: I see that the fix is the KB that you posted.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  6. mujabum

mujabum Member

I've solved it!!
    Thanks peeps :)

thanks to your advice I found things I didn't know about before!

I did the stuff as advised on the m$ website http://support.microsoft.com and added the doodly thing (it didn't seem to work!) but then I played around with stuff....

I went to
    Start - control panel - performance maintenance - system - Hardware - Device manager - opened up IEEE bus controllers - right clicked on it - clicked update drivers.

This immediately downloaded new drivers (I was conected to the internet of course) and my canon md205 which was plugged in began to work immediately!

whereas before, I was trying to update the driver for the Canon video camera which wasn't needed! When I updated the driver for the IEEE connection that solved it! the supid thing is, I paid for Driver Detective software & this didn't spot that the IEEE needed sorting out!

on the m$ support page it states that there is a known problem with XP sp2 causing the IEEE port to slow down or not work at all! I have XP sp3 which also seems to suffer from this!

I hope this helps anyone else in the same boat!

Laters. Matt

7. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Thanks for posting your solution, Matt. It WILL undoubtedly help others.