1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can't backup roxio 2010 pro to dvd+r

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by PennRon, Feb 19, 2010.

1. PennRon

PennRon Regular member

hi:
    Hopefully there is an answer to this question. I just bgt roxio 2010 pro on ebay. I thought it came on a cd but much to my surprise its on dvd. As I usually do with new software I wanted to make a backup copy in case the original got damaged.

when I went to do a 1:1 copy using roxio it said the destination disc wasn't large enough. I dont remember the difference in size but for arguments sake lets say it was about 100mb. I remember it's just a little larger than the default dvd5 size. Can I assume the original is on a dvd_DL disc? More importantly is it possible to somehow shrink the original to make it fit on a dvd+r? thx in advance...regards

2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

What program do you use to make the copy?
    If it is too big for a SL DVD, just make an image of the disc on your computer, and if you need to re-install, just mount the image, or maybe burn it later on a DL disc.

3. scum101

scum101 Guest

why would anybody want to own or use roxio.. let alone back it up?

4. PennRon

PennRon Regular member

thanks for the replies. however, the question was not answered. is it possible to shrink a dvd DATA disk to make the original fit on a dvd+r. And scum roxio is my choice. I have my reasons. If you can't contribute anything constructive then don't reply.

5. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

That disc is an installer. If you know what you're doing,you could probably take it apart, reverse engineer it, whatever...and probably you could remove some features and make it smaller(same way people did for example with Nero, creating those "light" versions)...
    If you want to just store it, copy it to your computer, try archiving it with 7Zip or similar, and when you need it, you copy it to your HDD and mount the image.

6. PennRon

PennRon Regular member

I really do appreciate the time and effort of your reply but again the question is really not answered. how about this. just a simple yes or no. can a dvd DATA disk be compressed or shrunk like (or somewhat like) a dvd video disk? regards..

7. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Yes, it can, but you cannot use it as an installer. You would have to copy it to your HDD, decompress it, and then use it.

8. scum101

scum101 Guest

now we wait for the "my burning/authoring/mastering programs don't work.. help..

Roxio conflicts with everything.. well known for it.. and is always the first thing we tell people to uninstall.. don't believe me?.. ask the video experts.

9. PennRon

PennRon Regular member

scum that is not the intent of the question. I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you here. so lets change the question to this which is what I should have asked in the first place.

Is it possible to clone a 5GB DATA disc onto a regular run of the mill blank dvd/+-R, RW etc.
    regards...

10. gurnard

gurnard Regular member

hi :)

to produce an exact copy

so therefore the answer is....no

as to scum
    very knowledgable lady... trying to save you a few problems in the future

11. PennRon

PennRon Regular member

gunard:

ok as we know we can take a 6GB VIDEO dvd and use a program like dvdshrink to reduce and make it fit onto a regular dvd5 blank disc. but you're saying its not possible to do that with a data disc because there isnt any software capable of doing it?? Is that accurate?

12. Mrguss

Mrguss Regular member

Try this:

Download the Program into your PC....and when you done:

Start > My Computer > Double click Local Disk (C:) > Double Click Programs Files > Find your Program and right Click it > Send to....DVD RW Drive (D:).....insert your Blank Disc or maybe a Memory Stick or wherever and that's it !

After that you can Un-instal your program if you like.....

Good Luck !