Can't connect to the internet...modem problems? or something else?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Seph149, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Seph149

Seph149 Member

A couple nights ago I was online and I lost my connection which wasn't so significant because I have dial up and it routinely does that after 2-3 hours. I was always able to simple dial back up without a problem but this time it said there was no dial tone. I was tired anyway so I just went to bed figuring it was a "brain fart" and it'd go back to normal the next time I started it up.

Well, it didn't. I went to Control Panel and it said the modem was operating properly so then I went to the telephone line connected to my comp. I switched it out for several others which didn't yield any success so I plugged the phone into the cords to make sure they worked...no problem there either.

I even did a did a system recovery to restore everything to factory condition thinking maybe there was a virus that may have done something...again no luck.

Is there anything else I may have missed? Considering what I tried the only thing I can think of is a hardware failure...

I'd appreciate any thoughts

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Short of reinstalling the driver, I can't think of anything. I had it once with my 56k modem (wow that was a while back!) but I seem to recall it went away by itself the following day. There was indeed a dial tone on the phone line though.

3. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

If you have not fixed this yet here is something to try. When I had problems like this in my 56K days I had to send a reset to the modem. Click start\all programs\applications\communications\hyperterminal.

The name of the sesion does not matter just be sure the correct nodem is selected. once you see your flashing cursor type in ATZ and hit enter. The modem is now reset. Close it all and try again.

-Del

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I thought that other thread seemed familiar...