Cant read pressed disks but back-ups read o.k???

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by byngo, Jul 13, 2006.

1. byngo

byngo Regular member

I have a Philips DVDR70 (outside of any warranty period)(its a dvd recorder but I thought my problem might have more experiances in the player section).
    It has stopped reading DVD ROM's. The disks are the right region, clean and some it has played before but not now.
    I can play back-ups on any media you like to choose and it still records o.k aswell but amazingly not playing the originals. It just hangs on the "reading disk" disply. I have updated to the latest Philips firmware and had the lid off to clean the lens with Isoprol alcohol (or whatever it is) and stiil no joy.
    Any ideas ??

2. DanandJen

DanandJen Regular member

Yeah, I got an idea....Don't buy philips dvd recorders. Most likely this is just another DVR985!! For those who bought one and remember the pain it brought will never buy philips again. Don't bother sending it back to them either, they will ship it back and in about 2 days or a couple hours you will have the same problems all over again!
    Most likely it is just due to crappy manufacturing and poor software support for the hardware. Sorry!
    PS: My DVR985 made a damn good paper weight. Whenever I get mad at something I use it to take my anger out on! Funny thing is, I've had it for about 5 years now! Man I must be weak!!!