Can't right click mp3's anymore please anyone help!

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by dougal58, Jul 19, 2004.

1. dougal58

dougal58 Regular member

Hi folks,
    Has anyone ever came across this problem before,I hav'nt installed any new software recently and all of a sudden every time i right click an mp3 file i get the windows error box [WINDOWS HAS ENCOUNTERED AN ERROR AND HAS TO CLOSE]When windows restarts it's still the same,The same thing happened a month or two ago and i had to do a complete reinstall,Only hope i don't need to do that again,I've worked with mp3 for years and this has never happened before,Any help would be appreciated,Thanx in advance.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    john lennon 1940/1980[/small]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2004
  2. dougal58

dougal58 Regular member

Anybody help please!

3. Rosco404

Rosco404 Guest

4. dougal58

dougal58 Regular member

Cheers Rosco,
    I found that link a couple of days ago,Downloaded it and it does.nt seem to install just blinks,And does.nt help,
    Thanx anyway mate.

5. nixit

nixit Guest

what kind of mp3 player do u have?? i have had problems too but different one's with my mp3 player. anyway try to go into the secure mode and then try to click on ure player. if it doesnt work then install the driver again (still in the secure mode) and then try again. that worked with me.

6. dougal58

dougal58 Regular member

Hi Nixit.
    I'm using winamp for mp3 as default player,But i don't think that's the problem as it has'nt happened in the 3 years i've had my pc until recently,It's as soon as i right click any mp3 file i got an error so could'nt rename or convert any mp3 files,I had to do a complete reinstall because of it,Just reinstalling windows did'nt even work.Fingers crossed it's been ok for a couple of weeks,
    Many thanx.

7. 1Adonis4u

1Adonis4u Guest

Do you experience this problem only with mp3's? Try and do the same thing with a folder or just a different file and see if the problems persists there too.

I kinda had the same problem as you and my problem was being caused by a piece of software that I recently had installed. Also if you are running Windows XP make sure that you are updating it regularly, maybe that will help.

Let us know if you get the issue resolved.

8. dougal58

dougal58 Regular member

Hi Adonis,
    It only happens with mp3 files,I can right click everything else folders,jpeg etc,The first time it happened i had all updates available,So i'm kinda stumped the only thing i noticed was i had WINka running in system processes which was'nt there before,I'm trying to find out what WINka is as i type this,Will let you know if i find anything.
    Thanx for answering.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    john lennon 1940/1980[/small]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2004
  9. 1Adonis4u

1Adonis4u Guest

Just thought of something...

Run System File Checker. Might not fix the problem, but shouldn't hurt.

Start menu --> Run --> type in: SFC /SCANNOW
    (there is a space between the SFC and the / )

Have your WXP CD nearby in case prompted to insert it. Follow any on-screen instructions.
    When done, reboot.

Also, winKA seems to be the program that downloads updates from MS.

10. dougal58

dougal58 Regular member

Cheers mate.
    I will try that if the problem occurs again and let you know what happens.

11. jwatts

jwatts Member

Hi guys,

I have encountered the same problem recently. Explorer crashes when I right click mp3 and wav files. I started to think it was all music files, but I renamed one of the files to wma and it didn't crash. I am running Win XP and I rolled my system back to one of the restore points, which helped for about a week, but the problem came back.

I too am running Winamp. I recently uninstalled it and still had the same problem. I also ran sfc /scannow and this did not help. I then downloaded the patch from Microsoft that was suggested earlier and it just blinked and didn't help either. I have tried associating mp3 files with other programs and I also completely removed the file association and added it back with no luck either.

By chance, dougal58, have you recently installed the new version of Spybot - Search & Destroy. This is the only common factor I can think of when I experienced the problem the last two times.

12. jwatts

jwatts Member

I think I have the answer!!!!!!!!!!

I noticed I was only unable to right click, delete, or move mp3 and wav files only. All other files were ok. I started going through every audio application I had. I ended up finding an application called "Acoustica MP3 To Wave Converter Plus". I opened the options portion of the app and accepted their agreement and now everything is working again.

I hope this helps.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2004
  13. dougal58

dougal58 Regular member

Hi jwatts,
    Exact same problem as me,only affects mp3,wav files,
    Yes i have installed the latest spybot and i also have mp3 to wave converter,Which agreement did you agree to as i don't see an agreement to click,So you reckon it's mp3 to wave conveter that's the problem,You see my machine is ok just now as i reinstalled everything so i can't tell if that's it.
    Many thanx mate.

14. jwatts

jwatts Member

It seems that after a certain amount of days of the install of "Acoustica MP3 To Wave Converter Plus", mp3 and wav files have to be "re-associated".

The agreement only appears if you have had the program installed for awhile, hence the reason for you not receiving the agreement. All I did was click on the "Options" choice in the start menu for the Acoustica application and I received an agreement notice that I had to click "OK" or "Next" on. I can't remember which.

I believe it would also resolve the problem if you choose "Re-Associate" under the Acoustica menu in the start menu.

15. dougal58

dougal58 Regular member

Cheers mate,
    Got all that noted just in case it happens again.
    Thanx again.

16. jwatts

jwatts Member

No problem.

I'm pretty confident the fix will work.

17. dougal58

dougal58 Regular member

Cheers Mate.