capture program not showing camera

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by jawilli19, Jan 6, 2006.

1. jawilli19

jawilli19 Member

Well i know this must be a noobish question, but i have searched and read among the guidlines. I appogize for being a noob, but with your help i with start my journy to my dv destination.

anyways, I have a brand new dell xps400. I try to hook up my panasonic dv camcorder and run it exactly how it explains to capture from a camera just like all of the examples.

It is almost as if my capture program is not picking up a signal from the camcorder.

I have also tried to capture from a sony dcr trv320 hi8.
    both firewire.

it happens on both windows movie maker and adobe prmiere.

I am just frustrated, sorry if this is a stupid question.

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

3. jawilli19

jawilli19 Member

thanks for the website, it will def come in big. thanks you

Ok, so this is what I get.

I restart my comp, turn my camera on.

I run the program, then I press play from the program to start the video on the camera. An error comes up saying that the camera has been disconnected.???

hope you can figure this one out. thanks again

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

First of all check the device manager.
    If the cam is disconnected you should see a category IEEE1394 Bus Host Controllers and if you open that branch there should be a OHCI compliant IEEE1394 Host Controller.
    Then, after you connect the camcorder and put it in VCR mode, open up the branch Imaging Devices. There you should see you DV camcorder.
    If this is all OK you can start WinDV and you should see that the camcorder is connected.

5. jawilli19

jawilli19 Member

Ok, this is the situation as of now.

Everything checks up great within device manager. We had to put a Texis Inst. firewire card into the computer. Im thinking that maybe this was a bad choice and need to go get a beter card???

OK, after everything checks out, i open to capture on movie maker. As soon as a press play in movie maker to run the video, it freezes up and an error msg saying that the camera might not be connected properly??

help please!!

6. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

This is a tough one...
    I can only think that it is a hardware failure and I can only recommend to check the camcorder on another system to see if it's the camcorder or your PC (including the Firewire card) that is causing the problem.

7. jawilli19

jawilli19 Member

thank u very much. It was the peice of crap firewire card I got from WALMART. SO dont buy firewire cards from WALMART. got one from bestbuy and it worked right away. Thanks again

God Bless

8. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Glad you've got your problem solved.
    You must have had just bad luck with the one you bought. Firewire cards are pretty standard pieces of hardware being produced in large volumes. Get your money back from Wallmart...