captured dv

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by roncn, Oct 19, 2006.

1. roncn

roncn Member

useing ulead vs 10 to captuse fom cannon mvx250i. when i use dv type 1 and check the file with avi codec it gets 50% quality and type 2 gets 90%. thought boath should be the same, ioo% ?

Also i record in 16:9 but avi codec shows 720*576 (4:3).

All info would be great as want to get best 16:9 encode for dvd useing either tmpgenc or ulead

thanks

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Don't know what's happening, but I would recommend WinDV for capturing from minDV. It's free, simple and does not screw around with your material...

3. roncn

roncn Member

thanks for the reply.tried win dv but avi codec still says same.

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Either you have altered some sttings in the camcorder to transfer lower qulaity video, or AVIcodec is just mistaken and the video is OK. If it is OK its hould be around 13GB per hour. If that is the case, just ignore what AVIcodec is telling you.

5. roncn

roncn Member

cool. must be fine then as one hour is approx 13 gig. i know there is no exact answer to this question as i have read a lot of other threads on the subject but any iofo would be good. trying to find the best encoder to covert these dv files to mpeg 2 for dvd. dont want anything to complicated. dont mind messing about with obvious settings and filters. have been messing with tmpgenc and mainconcept and also built in encoder in ulead. any advice to get best possible result appreciated. thanks

6. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Looks like you've got a good set of tools there.
    To get the best quality of course use the CBR at the highest possible bitrate. Also, in TMPGEnc, use highest quality and DC component precision 10 bits. You can try some of the filters, for example Noise Reduction. Unfortunately there is not one single best recipe, because there different type of frames would have different optimum settigs. So, you will just have to play around and determine your own optimum.

7. roncn

roncn Member

thanks for the help