Captured video clips are corrupted

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by joep89, Dec 26, 2005.

1. joep89

joep89 Member

When I plug my Sony DCR-HC90 camcorder into my firewire port into the back of my computer and begin capture using Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0, the clips begin to load up as normal but there is one problem.
    When I go to preview each scene the program has divided into for me, every clip is completely corrupted. The audio is just one big nasty fuzzing noise and the video is distorted, multi-coloured, pixelated squares.
    This is completely unusable to edit as you can understand. I have 1GB of RAM and 250GB of hard drive space so I know thats not the problem.

I have tried capturing video on a different computer and it works fine.
    Could anyone please tell me what the problem is.

Many thanks,

Joe

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

3. joep89

joep89 Member

Thanks a lot! I downloaded one of the programs and now i can easily import them into premiere elements 2.0 with pefect picture quality.

Many thanks,

Joe

4. joep89

joep89 Member

O dear, when I thought I had it cracked I am very wrong. I figured out the videos now capture and play back fine on my nearly full old hard drive, but when i try and capture them to my larger hard drive, purposely bought for videos, the files corrupt.
    It seems the hard drive cannot convert them properly to viewable video files or simply cannot read the information coming into the computer properly.

This is very strange as I have only just bought the hard drive and wondered if there were any simple updates or something I need to change on the hard drive settings to get this sorted out.

Many thanks,

Joe

5. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Is this an external hard drive? An if so, is it connected with USB? If the answer to both questions is YES: capturing directly to an external drive over USB is not good.

Maybe your hard drive is FAT32 formatted and you are trying to capture above the 4GB limit.

6. joep89

joep89 Member

Hi, no I bought a hard drive from my local computer store who built the actual computer for me and also installed the hard drive for me. It is a 250GB hard drive so I cannot see what is wrong. I do not fully understand the formatting you were talking about but is there any way I could find out how it has been formatted, and/or change it and format it in a different way to work in conjunction with the videos?

Many thanks,

Joe