Cheap DVD player-any recommendations?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by grantr, Jun 30, 2004.

1. grantr

grantr Member

I am looking for a cheap DVD player (after just discovering my 4yr old Philips DVD711 doesnt play DVD-r). Can anyone recommend a good player for under $150.00 (Australian). Must support DVD-R and MP3. Thanks.

2. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

a fellow aussie, good shit =), well head down to any strathfield store and pick urself up a xms dvd player(i say strathfield because xms is exclusive to them), ive had a xms 1050 for about 3 yrs now and it has taken a beating and still runs perfect. it supports almost anything u throw at it, from dvd-r/rw to mp3, from kvcd to cvd, and the usual vcd/svcd. the players are quite cheap as well for how good a quality and how compatible they are, last time i checked they were going for as little as $120-$130

their top notch players m8
    cheerz

3. roberson

roberson Guest

Good Morning Sir: CyberHome Model CH-DVD 300 plays MPG but I do not know about DVD-R. It sells for around $39.00 U.S. and can be found on eBay.
    Go to their WEB site www.cyberhome.com to get the spec on this player. You can find also many Toshiba that will do everything you want. These can also be found on eBay under a $100.00 U.S. Hope this helps. Robert

4. paully01

paully01 Guest

I'd reccomend the Philips DVP520 plays everything DVD-R , DVD+R , DVDRW, MP3, SVCD , JPEG CD £60GBP

5. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

I have a Thomson dvd player that cost about £90 gbp and is very fussy about what it actually plays. The only backup discs it will play flawlessly are the Ritek.
    I also have a Ronin P807 which was a third of the price and will play absolutely anything and everything.
    I reckon if I write the name of a movie onto a beermat it would play it.

6. Redeemed

Redeemed Guest

Do you know of any stand alone DVD players that will directly play AVIs from either DVD-R/+R or CDs

Thanks

7. bigboneli

bigboneli Guest

You want a cheap DVD player? Get the Philips 642. I just did and sweet jesus tap dancing on a roll of nickels, it's the cat's ass.

100$ Canadian and plays EVERYTHING (except dvd-r's), seeings as Philips is a playah in the +r market.

Divx/Xvid, vcd/svcd, this machine is f00king awesome.

As an added bonus, some older avi's i had burned at 40x work like a charm on it. Dunno what speed it'll play vcd's/svcd's you burn at, but I imagine it'll be the same. No more burning em at 8x ;)

For the price, this thing is frigging awesome and now all my divx/xvid are getting the dust blown offa them.

8. Redeemed

Redeemed Guest

bigboneli - thanks for the info

agent-k -does "everything" mean Divx & Xvid?

Thx

9. SniperFox

SniperFox Guest

Ok from the posts I'm reading, is it possible to play avi files in a dvd player? From my understanding I thought you have to convert them. Be gentle!

10. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

there are new dvd-players on the market that are able to play divx & xvid, you just burn your divx or xvid file to a cd as a normal data disc and hey presto. but some of these dvd players are a little more tricky as they only play certain codecs of divx and xvid, but im sure there are players that can play all codecs of divx and xvid and you can still update their firmware in future to cover new versions of the codecs that come out but i dunno which exact player/players are capable of that =/.

11. bigboneli

bigboneli Guest

the philips 642 is now divx 'certified', which i guess means it's guaranteed compatible for all divx formats as of manufacture date. and seeings as they've been on v 5.11 or whatever for so long, i think it accomplishes everything divx people need it to do, meaning it'll prolly NEVER need updates for divx. the xvid is supported, but not guaranteed, it's a 'if it works, whippeeee' kinda deal, as there doesn't seem to be as specific rules for the xvid yet as there is for the divx. but yes, it's flashable, but i don't think philips will rls updates just for xvid codecs. so no, sniperfox, you shouldn't have to convert ANY of your DIVX, just burn em as data files, but to ensure it plays ALL XVID, you'll prolly have to convert them to DIVX, or to a supported XVID codec (it don't like that qpec) or whatever it is. I'm sure that in the weeks to come, the 'aftermarket' folks will come up with all the fixes we need.

12. SniperFox

SniperFox Guest

Thanks for the help

13. elliott

elliott Regular member

CYBERHOME GETS MY VOTE BEEN USING FOR 2 MONTHS JUST LIKE YOU MY OLD PLAYER WONT PLAY DVD-/+ RW OR ANY OF THAT AND THE CH300 IS UNDER $35 TRY RADIO SHACK.

14. vmx100

vmx100 Guest

Hi guys!
    I think you should try the e-boda DV-555x dvd player too. It's allso certified to all DivX formats and it supports XviD , .sub and .srt subtitles as well.

Good luck :)