choice between DVI-I to composite, or HDMI to DVI-D ??

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by jbent, Aug 22, 2007.

1. jbent

jbent Member

I recently got some VGA to composite cable to hook my computer up to my tv. I got it hooked up but the signal isnt working. I have two more options to try and wondering if anybody would know the best choice. I could try getting DVI-I to composite, or I could get HDMI to DVI-D but with the possibe risk of auido lose to the diff. between DVI-I and DVI-D. If anybody would know the best choice any help would be nice thanks.

2. JVC

JVC Active member

DVI only carries video...........no audio.
    You'll need to run separate audio cables, to get sound.

3. jerzmob

jerzmob Guest

hi. i have a DVI-I male to HDMI female. I am wondering how it is possible to make sound come from my HDTV. I was told i needed DVI to transmit both video and audio signal for my screen. do i still need a sound receiver for this? thank you.

4. JVC

JVC Active member

DVI does not carry audio. Only video.
    If you're using a cable with HDMI on one end and DVI on the other, the DVI connector stops the audio capability. The cable needs to be HDMI on both ends, to carry both audio and video.

5. jerzmob

jerzmob Guest

but it doesn't make sense then. i guess that ebay seller is false advertising then. This is what it stated on the features.

Product Features
    # 100% Brand new for you.
    # Converts HDMI female to DVI-I male 24+5.
    # HDMI provides an interface between any HDMI-enabled audio/video source (DVD player,projector,A/V receiver,set-top box or audio/video monitor).
    # HDMI supports standard, enhanced, or high-definition video, plus multi-channel digital audio on a single cable. This Converter transmits all HDTV/ATSC standards and supports 8 channel digital audio, with bandwidth to spare to accommodate future enhancements and requirements.
    # High Quality ,24K Gold Plated Connector.