1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast and uTorrent Please Help

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Shinraboy, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Mez

Mez Active member

That does confirm that it wasn't Comcast, it was the roving DHT spiders. They are the ones that block the DHT port. However if you keep it up that rate you will have problems with Comcast. Then you can see how good you really are. They do not block the ports they can selectivly throttle downloads. You will be able to surf OK but will not be able to DL at all (that means any kind of down load including FTP). If you can still circumvent that enough to get 200g in a month, they drop you. That is their published polacy. Persons using newsgroups thought they had it made only to lose their ISP.

2. Shinraboy

Shinraboy Regular member

I'm a little confused. If I download 200gb a month I get axed?

3. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Depend's on your cap and how Comcast handle's overage's. Too much and they will, at least, let you know, cut service's and eventually kick you. You have a TOS you're supposed to abide by. My ISP has the right to charge for every G over my cap but never has charged anyone yet. I'm over my cap every month and nothing is said but by too much and they'll warn me, do it again and I'll be looking for a new ISP. Just as a comparison, my cap is 60 G but if I keep that under 150 G, I'll never hear. That said, 200 G is a fair amount, be a little more selective if need be but, like I said, depend's. You could also look into Newsgroup's, no uploading but not exactly free either.

4. Shinraboy

Shinraboy Regular member

This crosses over into something completely new for me. I've tried learning about those Newsgroups....they seem really hard and I've even Google'd until I was blue in the face. Any pointers?

5. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Newsgroup's only sound difficult but are easy as Bittorrent. All you need is a Newsreader (Grabit-free or NewsLeecher-not free but excellent, lot's of other's), a Newsserver (Giganews, Powerusenet-excellent support, Astraweb-none free unless your ISP has one, usually not), a Newsgroup like NZB Matrix (best I've found), Merlin's Portal or BinSearch (just a free search engine), QuickPar (free-to open par's and do repair's first) and whatever you use to open rar's. Some reading for you: http://www.slyck.com/ng.php or http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/389304 (nowhere near as complicated as this sound's, a main thing is getting a server with as much retention as possible-amount of time file's are available to you).

6. Shinraboy

Shinraboy Regular member

Thanks! I'll look into it....

7. Mez

Mez Active member

Comcast created a 200 g/mon cap. The first month it was supposed to hit AD covered it in a news blurb. There were a half dozen members that got their notice the first legal morning they could. They were called and got a letter.

I do not know it they are still doing it but I suspect so. They spent millions to set us an anti-P2P operation why not use it. They were the very first ISP to use Sandvines. The first of the anti-P2P robot apps. At first the robot app was easy to fool but it got smarter and smarter. If you do not encrypt it keeps a log of everything you down load. With encryption it logs rates and times and it probably monitors where you go. All ISPs have Sandvines or something like it.

Before they lightened up, I suspect they lost lost of customers because we got a nice concilatory letter saying they might increase the cap. They will not because it is the biggist I know of. Comcast is fairly 'light handed' as far as ISPs go. As long as you keep to the after hrs and weekends they do not bother you. They do not block you port they can throttle you out right. Also, they want to keep you as a customer.

There are illegal robots from unknown funding and from unknown locations that bother me. They are looking for info they sell to some where. I call the DHT Spiders because they sneek around on the DHT web trying to get into your computer. They also can bombard you with poison packets which can block your router and even disable apps on your node. IP blockers keep most of them out. The amount of blocking they do these days is disturbing if you are the least bit cautious. That is the reason persons are going to newsgroups.