compaq desktop

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by rtrg, Jul 31, 2009.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I am trying to identify the MODEL of a COMPAQ desktop. The only info I can provide is the following. The tower is white, with 3 louvers at the front bottom. The single power switch is in the center. 2 usb ports, 1 1394 port. XP home, processor, ram unknown. Floppy drive, cdrom drive, one expansion bay. On the rear is on board 2 usb, 1 dsl, audio/video card, 2 firewire ports, 1 phone jack in/out card. Serial # U206KLSZA013. Product key W9RXC- Q7922- WHVCJ- JM3VD. Power supply either 243890 or 252154 or 244166. The tower seems to be in original configureation. I need a power supply to see if this will fire up. The supply seems not to work. I need a replacement to verify. HP/COMPAQ is of no help. No pictures of models. No list of discontinued models. Once I get the model # I can try to find info on it. I am hopeing there is someone here with lot*s of experience who can help. Thank you in advance.

2. jcalton88

jcalton88 Regular member

You don't need an exact OEM replacement. You can go buy the cheap one at best buy and see if the computer works. Or buy one off New Egg. Any aftermarket powersupply should work, they are made to be universal.

And, as an added bonus, you go buy it from a local computer shop or best buy, if it doesn't work, you can take it back.

As far as what the model is, theres no telling with that information. I will say with a floppy drive its not a recent model, but I'm sure you know that.

Have you tried looking in the CD Door? Or looking to a "T Code" or "Prod #"?

Have a look at this site and see if it helps you.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...n&cc=us&tool=&product=89327&docname=c00004461

3. varnull

varnull Guest

ooooooooo.. thanks for that xp product key, been after a compaq oem key for a while .. hahahahaha

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2009
  4. jcalton88

jcalton88 Regular member

Yeah I took notice of that, but figured hell, with how old XP is now theres no need for product keys...And they don't work anyway, I can't use my original product key for Vista to reactivate after a clean install, so whats the point.

5. varnull

varnull Guest

I just need one to install the junk.. I crack it and change it afterwards anyway.. Just certain oem versions need a proper oem key.. and that's a nice compaq one XD

Unlike dell hardware the compaq psu's are off the shelf generic components (often junk winbond branded)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2009
  6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

7. varnull

varnull Guest

Looks like you did.. Is this old tower worth the price of a used psu? .. I would go hunting down the dump with a screwdriver myself.. lots of psu's get thrown out because somebody buys a new case and it comes with one. .. or £3 used at my local computer shop (desperate times tho)