1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compress DVD format files..

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by control12, Dec 28, 2006.

1. control12

control12 Member

I have converted a Mpeg file to DVD format. But the output file size is 7 times the size of original file. But I have converted using a standard software. Will the output be like that? I also converted that Mpeg file to Divx format. But the result is same,no compression. Can anyone give idea on this ?

2. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Just saying MPEG covers a lot of territory. Check the AD Glossary. http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/

Sounds like you may have converted from MPEG4 if the DVD video (MPEG 2) is 7X larger than the original. DivX is a MPEG4 format, so if you converted from one MPEG4 format to another, that would account for no compression. Taking an original DVD video over 4.37GB and compressing to DVD5 requires compression. Plus converting from DVD Video (MPEG 2) to DivX will seriously compress the files. I've put DivX formatted movies on CD. The quality wasn't as good. One thing to note is that your output is only going to be as good as the input. So, when you go from some compressed formats to DVD Video, the quality may not be as good as a factory DVD.

3. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Not exactly a Shrink topic unless you need to compress the DVD Video files, which Shrink is good at.