Compression again

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by 1c3man, Dec 19, 2006.

1. 1c3man

1c3man Member

I am trying to compress an AVI file created with Panasonic MotionDV. The original codec bitrate is 28800 which is quite high. I am using VirtualDub for the job. The problem I have is that for whatever codec I use and whatever bitrate (I tried even with 27000 which is max for DivX) the quality is bad. In particular motion frames have very poor quality (you see horizontal lines on the moving ojects). Please advice me what to do. Maybe there are some settings for this case that i am not aware of.

Thank you.

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

What you are seeing is an interlacing effect. If the final destination of your video is to play it on a PC you should de-interlace (aka progressive). If it is meant for TV leave it as is. You will not notice this effect on TV, because TV is designed for interlaced material.

3. 1c3man

1c3man Member

Thank you for your answer.

I believe that the original avi is deinterlaced since it is played just fine on PC. What should I do to keep this efect also in compressed movie? Select "De-interlaced source" for DivX (in VirtualDub) for ex should do the trick? Or do i need another tool for this?