computer restarts by itself -help please

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by aquavd, May 19, 2003.

1. aquavd

aquavd Member

I'm running WIN 98 SE. My computer suddenly started to restart. I opened it and have cleaned the dust but I guess id didn't help. PLease help.
    Thanx

2. thargor

thargor Member

Have you recently installed any new/replacement hardware, eg: soundcard.
    if so did you uninstall any old drivers, as it could be a driver conflict. I have this problem at the moment and just need the time to rebuild.

3. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Hello
    I have heard this occur for two different reasons. The first was that the desk in an office was changed and the powerbar got moved and every time you close or open a draw the plug would slip in and out and reboot the computer. For this I would test if all conections are tight and that the power cords are all good.
    THe other time I heard of this was when my uncle got a worm/virus that would reboot the computer and then dial out to the internet as bounce point. This can be detected with Norton antivirus.

4. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Hello
    I have heard this occur for two different reasons. The first was that the desk in an office was changed and the powerbar got moved and every time you close or open a draw the plug would slip in and out and reboot the computer. For this I would test if all conections are tight and that the power cords are all good.
    THe other time I heard of this was when my uncle got a worm/virus that would reboot the computer and then dial out to the internet as bounce point. This can be detected with Norton antivirus.

5. Dog357

Dog357 Member

i did this to sombody cuse they were a dick and im dick to them anyway follow the wire form you reset button to the motherbroad if it upluged then look near the edge of the motherboard and if you see a jumper in the reset slot thats why ... or it could be a marco virus of some kind if its that its starting up in the registry most likley go to run and type msconfig go to the last tab and thats all the crap that starts with your comptuer look for anything weird_X_X_X_X_X_[small]i .. i i got nothing[/small]

Last edited: May 22, 2003