Confused newbie wants to know about editing movie on the computer

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Binks, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Binks

Binks Member

I have a Windows XP computer I have a Sony DCR-TRV250. I recorded a short movie on a 8mm tape that I want to put in my computer. I first tried Pinnacle Studio SE Version 7.15.1 but it only lets me edit movie that I record by using a USB streaming. Then I tried to use Windows Movie Maker but it didn't have any sound. What should I do?

2. shorty2k

shorty2k Member

Man why are you using USB, do you not have firewire?
    is it not digital8 (ie uses 8mm tapes but records digitally)

3. Binks

Binks Member

My camera is a Digital 8 camera but it did not come with a firewire.

4. badtrack

badtrack Guest

Hi Binks!

Your camera has an [bold]i.LINK DV Interface (IEEE1394)[/bold] - this is the firewire connection - pretty much standard on Sony D-Cams. I have one myself (a Digital 8 like yours though not the 250). Hell, I only use a 256MB RAM (PC133- not even DDR), a 1GHz Athlon, Media Studio Pro (6.1) and an ATA100 HDD; and I get excellent capture with no dropped frames over the Firewire. Note that you don't hear the sound when actually capturing, even though it is being picked up; however, this is related to my software restrictions not hardware.

I'm surprised you didn't get a DVi-IEEE1394 cable with the camera, but they aren't expensive and often come with firewire boards. Much more reliable than USB 2.0 which, although it peaks at a higher rate than Firewire, this is only occasional and its sustained rate (vital for video capture) is much lower.

Chers,

Badtrack

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2004
  5. shorty2k

shorty2k Member

using s firewire is not actually capture as i have mentioned in previou posts its data transmission. Therefore it is a perfect digital copy of the orginal, you only will get dropped frames if there are errors in the process, ie dust/scracthes defomation of the tape or bad poor connection during transmission.

In theory if using USB2 you can stream ot transmitt the DV content to the harddisk this would be the same a using firewire.

6. badtrack

badtrack Guest

Partly true...

Transfer is an integral part of "capture process" - we are only talking semantics here - if it ain't transmitted, you can't "capture it".

All these things can cause dropped frames, but we are talking home computer processing here... Dropped frames are most commonly caused by hardware/software translation/write rates. Thats why a defragged, clean HDD is usually vital. If the HDD backs up on write or the software/chipset-CPU combination isn't doing its math quick enough then usually the software will ignore frames (not pass on the data) and they are "dropped". Proof of the pudding is all the advice on this site about exactly this kind of thing(and personal experience of the same tape being captured on different set ups and comparing the drop frame rate) - the classic is DMA not enabled.

Cheers,

7. Binks

Binks Member

Thanks for the information, you guys!

8. gopostal

gopostal Member

I have found that using EndItAll really helps with capture using USB. It shuts down all non-essential running processes so that nearly all the computers processing cycles get used with the capture. It takes a bit to configure, but really makes the difference with my rig and capture.