Connecting Cable to TV

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by lucilleba, Aug 8, 2007.

1. lucilleba

lucilleba Member

Is there any thread here that's as basic as "what plug/wire goes where"? Got a new TV and the young man who sold it to me explained it at about 90 miles an hour and it's all a mystery to me now! I thought I could just move a cable from the old TV to the new one, but of course they don't look anything alike back there!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

is there a connector on the new tv that says "cable in" or "input"? post here what are the connectors on the back of new tv.

3. lucilleba

lucilleba Member

OK...here I go...it's a flat sreen TV and over on the side of it are 5 places for connections. The top one says VIDEO 2 IN and has lots of little openings where something plugs in there. The next ones down are yellow (S Video), white (Video), Red (L Mono), and Green (R Audio). The green one has a little headphone next to it. On the back of the TV there are four groups of places to connect. One is marked PC, which I assume is Personal Computer and doesn't concern me. Another is marked HDMI in, which I assume has something to do with High Definition. Then there are a bunch more places with designations next to them but I have a feeling I need only concern myself with those on the side for now? Comcast will be here in a couple of weeks to set this thing up for high def, but if I could just get the thing hooked to the one single cable that's coming into my bedroom so I can watch it until then, I'd be happy. If you can help, thanks so much!

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

look at your coax cable that the comcast signal comes thru. now look at the side of the tv & see if there is a cylinder shaped connecter with a screw type thread on the outside of it that the coax cable screws onto.

5. JVC

JVC Active member

If there is no cable connector, on back of the tv, for the cable company's cable (coming in from outside), then your tv must not have a tuner built in. In that case, you can use a stereo vcr, until the cable company comes.

Run the cable to the vcr's input. From vcr's outputs, run red and white rca cables to the audio inputs (white is usually left, and red is right), on the tv. Then run the yellow video rca cable to the yellow video input (that's with the red and white inputs you used) on the tv. Then, it should just be a matter of selecting the right tv input, with your remote control.

When the cable company hooks you up to High Def, they'll probably use HDMI or DVI connection.
    Good luck, and enjoy! :eek:)