Connecting Canon EOS M50 Mark II to Blackmagic UltraStudio Express

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by az0000000, Jun 29, 2023.

1. az0000000

az0000000 Member

Hello everyone!
    I have run into a really harsh situation and very much need help from you video professionals.

I own a Blackmagic UltraStudio Express device that connects to Windows 8.1 (Boot Camp) on Macbook Pro 2015 via Thunderbolt 2 port.

Since my older video camera connected to UltraStudio Express via HDMI port is properly recognized in Blackmagic Media Express software, i was sure any other newer camera would also be easily recognized by UltraStudio Express via HDMI, so i bought a popular and highly suggested camera - Canon EOS M50 Mark II that has a micro HDMI clean output.

No matter what settings i tried UltraStudio Express does not display any video from Canon EOS M50 Mark II, only a black screen.

There is no issue with the micro HDMI to HDMI cable or Canon EOS M50 Mark II itself, because i connected it to a simple monitor via HDMI and video displays just fine.

Could it be something about the HDMI video signal Canon EOS M50 Mark II sends out that makes it incompatible with Blackmagic UltraStudio Express HDMI input?

Could it be that the problem is about Blackmagic Desktop Video Windows 10.3.5 version, and installing a newer version could help detect video signal from Canon EOS M50 Mark II?

Desperately looking for an advice.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

does the Blackmagic identifies camera at all & does device manager see the camera ok?

3. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

This is from the camera specifications-

Interface
    • Computer
      Hi-Speed USB (Micro USB)
    • Other
      Wireless LAN (IEEE802.11b/g/n), (2.4 GHz only, 1-11 ch)8

Bluetooth® (Specification version 4.2, Bluetooth low energy technology)9,10

HDMI (Micro - Type-D connector), HDR output to compatible TV supported
    I don't know if the Micro USB is the only method of attaching it to a computer. I looked in the manual and couldn't find anything on how to attach it to a computer via USB or HDMI. It covers Wi-Fi perfectly. Maybe you should try pairing the camera to the computer via wi-fi or blu-tooth.

4. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Were we any help? In the manual, when they talk about HDR output, they're talking about taking video in RAW format. For most editing software, that needs to be converted to a standard format. For that camera, the default is mpeg-4.

5. az0000000

az0000000 Member

Hello, and sorry for delayed reply.
    Blackmagic Media Express software used to test video does not see video signal from Canon camera no matter what resolution/framerate i try.

My setup needs would require getting video signal from Canon camera via UltraExpress HDMI port.

As far as i understood the HDR refers to still imaging mode, while video mode sends out a Full HD, the issue is that UltraStudio does not detect the video data signal.

By the way, connecting Canon via same HDMI cable to a regular monitor displays the video data stream just fine. I don't understand why UltraStudio does not detect the video from Canon while a regular random monitor does just fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2023
  6. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

If you use a HDMI to USB adapter, you should be able to pair your camera with your computer and get the video. Perhaps you don't have that option.

7. az0000000

az0000000 Member

Unfortunately my setup requires connecting camera to computer via UltraStudio Express device.

8. az0000000

az0000000 Member

That's one think i did not do, yet.

✔️ Blackmagic did not reply yet, Canon support does not seems to understand my issue, tried couple times to explain.

✔️

Tried two cables.

Well, Canon EOS M50 Mark II was released 8 years after Blackmagic UltraStudio Express was released, so not sure about that at all :)

9. ddp

spammer spammed.

10. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

If you have installed the Blackmagic Desktop Video software, and the device is connected, but the computer doesn't detect it, check System Preferences | Security and Privacy | General to see if the application has been blocked.

11. az0000000

az0000000 Member

It is windows 8.1, not sure if such settings even exist in it.

12. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Forget about what I said. That was for MAC. My apologies.

I was just looking at some articles on Blackmagic and noticed that a d/a capture card is required. Do you have one?

I didn't watch the whole thing here-
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDKf6UH_wLo

but it might be worth a view from you.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2023
  13. az0000000

az0000000 Member

Actually there is a sort of device control panel software for UltraStudio, and i have tried (i assume) every combination of settings with no luck, but probably i could miss something
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My current setup is UltraStudio device (being an external capture card itself) goes via thunderbolt 2 cable into my notebook. As i mentioned in first message i have previously successful connected and older Canon VIXIA HV40 via regular HDMI cable to UltraStudio HDMI input and video is displayed properly in Blackmagic Media Express software on notebook, given that proper resolution/framerate is selected in software settings.

The problem with my Canon EOS M50 Mark II is that i am not aware which resolution/framerate settings combination to select in Blackmagic Media Express software, because i don't know precisely what kind of HDMI signal Canon EOS M50 Mark II is sending out, besides that it is for sure a 1080 FHD signal as set by me in camera Canon EOS M50 Mark II output configuration.

14. ddp

spammer spammed.

15. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

These are what's available in the camera's specifications-

• Movie Type
      MP4 [Video: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, Audio: MPEG-4 AAC-LC (stereo)]
    • Movie Size
      4K - 3840 x 2160 (23.98, 25 fps)
      Full HD - 1920 x 1080 (59.94, 50, 29.97, 25, 23.976 fps)
      HD - 1280 x 720 (119.9, 100, 59.94, 50 fps)

16. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Any progress?

17. az0000000

az0000000 Member

Just got a reply from Blackmagic oficial support:
    So seems like the issue is about frame-rate conflict.

So i am wondering now if there is any hope if use a sort of HDMI pass-through device that can convert the video stream to proper frame-rate before it go into UltraStudio device HDMI input?

Since UltraStudio has SDI inputs as well, i am wondering if a HDMI to SDI converter like this one would help in my case to convert on the fly the video signal to a frame-rate compatible with UltraStudio?

18. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

You're d/a capture card is supposed to make the file readable by most software. Do you remember what format you selected when you took the video? I don't know what they mean by "video stream" vice a formatted video from the camera unless it's RAW. I don't know if there's any software on your camera for doing a conversion. Wish I had more time to look. I'm in a hurry so this is probably gibberish.

19. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

In the settings in post 13, you have the Set Input set to SID. Is there a reason for that?

20. az0000000

az0000000 Member

The issue is about live video signal not priorly recorded video files.

It is SDI, is just something selected by default, i am selecting the proper input when connecting camera.

probably going with updates risk is going to be my last resort attempt