1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting your PC to your PS3

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by anubis66, Dec 20, 2006.

1. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

It's as easy as 1, 2, 3!

1: Make sure you have the latest firmware. Then download this program, known as Red Kawa File Server. Its been specifically designed for use with the ps3 throught the web browser, but it can be used for access from anything.
    http://www.redkawa.com/fileserver/

2: Install the file server, and before you click finish, uncheck launch. Go to where you had the installer install shortcuts, and decide whether or not you want a window or the tray icon for your server to be run from (i prefer tray, right click it options). Whilst either is open, the server is running. Close either, and it ends.

3: Click "Launch File Server" and copy down the address of the page it sends you to. Click the settings link at the bottom of all the text. There you set up which folder/folders you want to share out of what drive. Anyone connecting will see all of your files listed, but will not be able to download them unless in the specified folders. Best option is to only run this server when you need it.

Now take that address you copied and put it inot the web browser (http:// is required) and voila! You're own seemless link from pc to your ps3 without an external source (i.e. mem cards, cd's, dvd's) If a file says "Insert storage media at the save destination" that means the ps3 does not recognize the file type.

Happy transfers!

2. jtan189

jtan189 Regular member

I suppose broadband helps when using this method...

3. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

dial up is so mid 90s :p havnt had it sence. it so terrible, but i guess in some places thats all you get. i could imagine a lan on dial-up to be not terribally slow, but i've never used it.

this only works in your lan/wan and for whyone connected to it.

4. sniper78

sniper78 Regular member

how do i transfer music and photos and movies to the ps3 just using a memory stick. I have a 512 usb thumb drive and nothing shows up just the memory stick even tho there are mp3's and jpgs on there.

5. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

well thats a bit off topic, but i myself have never had a usb drive work on the ps3. hell i think two or three of my usb ports may be dead.. to use the mem stick, use the ps3's formating tool (will erase all info) and then connect the card to your pc. finally, move your files to the appropriate folders on the stick.

if possible, try the method i posted this about. size is no limit. no constant transfers of cards and waiting for the data to write.

6. jtan189

jtan189 Regular member

I had the same problem. I don't think any of your ports are dead anubis. Try this.
    I gotta give props to retrosect. His method worked for me.

7. ReTroSecT

ReTroSecT Member

OMG, dude...just hit triangle and select 'display all'....it works like ace mate....

8. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

display all can be ineffective. you have to transfer each song individually, taking easily 10fold the time transfering all the music at once with a formatted card. all formatting does though is erase the card, make it FAT if its not, and add the right folders for the ps3 to copy striaght with.

9. ReTroSecT

ReTroSecT Member

Nop, you hit triangle on the specified folder and you can copy that entire folder.

You can put gigs & gigs into that folder.

Works like ace !

10. jtan189

jtan189 Regular member

How do you make it so that you don't need to use the display all option?

11. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

as i said, you format the card. then drop the music straight into in the folder called MUSIC, and the same for video and pictures. subdirectories can be made if desired, but whatever the directory is, thats what the name of the folder those songs will be stored in will be. it doesnt matter much because the ps3 sorts the music any way you ask it to, but not by default.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  12. boykiller

boykiller Regular member

when i click on a file i want to download it comes up
    "insert storage media"
    is there any way to save to the hd?????

13. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

that is because the format of the file you care to transfer is not a file the ps3 understands.