Continuous Network Timeout

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by shawanba, Oct 28, 2008.

1. shawanba

shawanba Guest

I own four computers - two running XP, two running Vista Home Premium. Just bought a brand new D-Link DIR 655 Wireless Router and picked up a brand new 660 series Embarq modem about a month ago. After continuous Network Timeouts, I contacted Embarq who ran tests and placed blame on D-Link. Called
    D-Link tech support who directed me to change the DNS server addresses to 4.2.2.2. and 4.2.2.3. He also had me change the IP Address to 192.168.10.1. The problem still persisted, so I called D-Link again. The tech person had me perform several ping tests through the D-Link maintenance page and through Windows/system "run" "cmd" which resulted in no packets lost on both counts.

So I have no clue what the possible problem could be. I experience network timeouts continuously, hitting refresh until I the page loads. The timeout usually lasts about 3 minutes and then I am on for about the same time. The timeouts occur on all of the computers and all are within close proximity to the router. One comp is hardwired to the router. I just installed a brand new DWA 552 Adapter in the other PC running Windows Vista.

Thanks for the assistance:)

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try connecting directly to modem with 1 pc to see if problem still happens.

3. shawanba

shawanba Guest

I plugged the modem directly into the laptop running Windows Vista and had no trouble for 10 minutes surfing. The problem must be with the router. After changing the DNS address the next time I called to complain, the tech had me perform the ping tests and no packets were lost. Any ideas?

4. ddp

try each of the computers on the modem directly to make certain it is a router issue. do you have a friend who has a router that you can borrow to see if it does same thing or not?

5. shawanba

shawanba Guest

I just upgraded from a D-LINK WBR 2310 to a D-LINK DIR 655 because the first router was doing the same thing. The D-LINK WBR was only a year old. Embarq upgraded their systems statewide and I called when the problem first started. The said my modem was outdated, a Sprint 660 series. So I stopped by the Embarq store and picked up a new modem, Embarq 660 series. When Embarq started their upgrades, I began experiencing timeouts with the first modem. The new modem solved whatever issues I was experiencing on the Embarq side. So I decided that perhaps my router was outdated too. So I researched and found the DIR 655 was rated the best. I bought a new D-Link DWA 552 adapter (for my pc with VISTA) and the router. Even when hardwired through the router my one pc with Windows XP suffers. The computers are all within 3 to 6 to 10 feet from the router, which is positioned high and nothing blocking the antennas. The last time I called D-Link the guy had me perform the ping tests, which led him to believe there was some other issue. I have AVG Free and had no problems before all of this started. Last night the outage was long and I tried a ping test but couldn't get any site to respond. Thought I'd post here cause I have my doubts these tech guys know what they are doing . . .?

6. ddp

have you tried all the computers 1 at a time directly to the modem?

7. shawanba

shawanba Guest

Connected another comp to the modem and couldn't pull up google. So I shut the power down on the modem, waited about 5 minutes and rebooted. Still couldn't pull a page up. Placing the cursor over the internet icon shows an excellent connection, but I can't open a page. One computer is downloading a couple of movie files, placing the cursor over the internet icon tells me I have an excellent connection, yet I receive a network timeout when trying to browse.

8. shawanba

shawanba Guest

Just wanted to post a conclusion to the problem. Embarq solved the issue by having me log into the modem and set up a bridge so the router handles all of the traffic. No more network timeouts. Thanks for the assistance.

9. ddp

no problem.