1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

converting avi files to dvd

Discussion in 'Convert video to another format' started by dalmar66, Apr 21, 2011.

1. dalmar66

dalmar66 Member

I have a simple question, if I convert an avi file(which is a lossy format?) to dvd using a reauthoring software is it still consindered a lossy or is it now a lossless format. I know with audio files once they are converted to mp3 they cannot be converted back to flac,shn,ape etc. Is that true with video files? Thanks in advance for the help.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Loss of information is incurred during each stage of the compression - DVD to AVI to DVD.

Generally, video compressors are lossy e.g. mpeg2, XviD - Lagarith and Huffyuv are exceptions.

3. dalmar66

dalmar66 Member

Thanks for the info, is there any way to test a dvd to see if it was converted? Thanks again

4. attar

attar Senior member

If you convert a file to DVD format and save the new converted files to a folder, you can open that folder using DVD Shrink ('Load files').
    If it opens the folder and loads the files without complaint, you can be sure it meets DVD spec (note that the program that you used to convert the files should output NTSC (North America) or PAL (rest of the world) video standard files - depending on how you set the options.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  5. dalmar66

dalmar66 Member

awesome, thanks for the info!!