Converting from UK to US format for a NOVICE!!

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by teresam, Jan 20, 2006.

1. teresam

teresam Member

Hello, looking for some help.. I'm new to the world of digital camcorders, not familiar with using any of the software to burn to DVDs, we've only plugged the camcorder into our TV and watched from there!!

But we've got a baby on the way and I'll need to figure out how to send videos home from the UK to my family in the US... We're keeping our videos on Mini DV tapes right now.. we could send those tapes and my parents could watch them on a US digital camcorder if they had one, but they don't..

Ideally I'd like to use my laptop and burn to an external US DVD burner (haven't bought yet). I'm assuming the burner would come with software.. but what format do you burn to, could I just burn to MPEG files, or ???

Also, I've heard you can buy external DVD burners that could burn to either UK or US format? Is this true? Thanks!!

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

If you're new to thr topic, you may find some interesting reading on the site in my sig below.
    If you use a DVD burner in your PC or laptop, you don't need a specific DVD burner to burn in PAL or NTSC format. It is simply a matter of telling the software which format that you want to create.