1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

converting mkv movie files onto psp (read now)

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by leiongod, Oct 14, 2005.

1. leiongod

leiongod Regular member

PROGRAMS NEEDED:
    download all these programs; install, then read on

psp video express http://www.pqdvd.com/psp/video_converter.html
    avi2dvd v.0.3.4 beta http://www.trustfm.net/divx/SoftwareAvi2Dvd.html
    virtualdub mod http://www.videohelp.com/tools?s=29#29 scroll down till you see it
    Ashampoo mp3 AudioCenter 1.64 http://www.download.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=ashampoo&tg=dl-2001
    MKVtoolnix http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=mkvtoolnix
    MKVExtractGUI http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=MKVExtractGUI
    Subtitle Workshop 2.51 http://www.urusoft.net/downloads.php?lang=1 (you will need this to convert the SSA subtiltes from the mkv into SRT)

once you finsih downloading the MKVextractGUI.zip; unzip it to the same folder where MKVToolnix is installed to.

i have been working my head of here trying to figure out how to create a mp4 format for the PSP where it is in jpn audio and english subtitles, i have now figured out how to do this with my own ideas rusty's and Zin's help. i will now explain how to convert and put this onto PSP.

on a side notice this a guide for converting downloaded anime which is in mkv format, if this isnt what your after, well yuh you can try what i say, but i cant guarantee your results. :p :p

Steps:

1. go to MKVtoolnix from the start menu bar and click mkvmerge GUI.
    2. once open click the "add" button, browse to you your mkv file then click open.
    3. once open everything about the the mkv file will be displayed under Tracks:
    video, audio subs etc etc; from here i will tell you what boxes to check and uncheck.
    [​IMG]
    The top box should say type:video, make sure that box is ticked; then scroll down till you see fields saying type:audio then find the audio which is english and untick the box next to it (this can be achieved by selecting each audio, it will display the contents, eg jpn audio english audio) make sure the jpn audio box is ticked; underneath the audio fields you should see fields saying type: subtitles, from here tick which subtilte you want (if there are several subtiles make sure you untick all of them and just leave the one subtitle which you want).
    [bold]Here is a picture of what fields need to be ticked[/bold]
    [​IMG]
    4. Down below you should see a option saying output filename click the "browse" button to choose where you want the file to be saved to then click ok.
    5. Now hit the button called Start Demuxing; (once finished, all the contents will be merged into one mkv video file, and saved to where you saved the file to.)
    [​IMG]
    6. once finished demuxing click ok, and close mkvmerge GUI.

[bold]MKVEXTRACTGUI (part 2 of conversion)[/bold]
    7. open up MKVextractGUI which is found in the same folder as to where you installed MKVToolnix too.
    8. click the "browse" button and open up the demuxed mkv video file which you just got from mkvmerge GUI.
    [​IMG]
    9. from here just tick the boxes which have the fields subtitles and audio, now up above you will see a word saying output folder:
    on the same line click the blue square which says "other path" now click browse which is also on the same line and browse to where you want to save the demuxed subtitle file and audio file to.
    10. click the blue button called "extract"; once done demuxing, close down MKVextractGUI.

[bold]audio conversion (part 3 of conversion)[/bold]
    11. open up Ashampoo MP3 AudioCenter.
    Choose convert files
    Click the add button....add the jpn audio you just demuxed from MKVextractGUI....click next
    Tick the wav box....click next
    Tick keep quality...click next
    Tick nomalize volume...click next
    Tick in a folder somewhere on my computer..the browse to where you want to save it......click next.
    Click start..this only takes a couple of minutes.
    12. close down Ashampoo MP3 AudioCenter.

[bold].SSA to .SRT subtitltle conversion (part 4 of conversion)[/bold]
    13. run URUSoft subtitle workshop,
    [​IMG]
    14. File...load subtitle; then browse to your subtilte which you demuxed using MKVextractGUI (most likely the subtitle which you demuxed from MKVextractGUI would have been vobsub or SSA).
    [​IMG]
    15. click file...save as then scroll down to where it says subrip and double click on it, then give it a name and choose where to save the .srt subtitle file (in the save as type field box, you will see that saving it as subrip, will actually save it as .srt subtitle file, which is what we want for avi2dvd).
    Close down subtitle workshop

[bold]MKV to AVI (part 5 of conversion)[/bold]
    16. open up VirtualDub; file...open video file...and open up the mkv file which you demuxed using using mkvmerge.
    17. you should recieve a message saying "this video may have a variable frame rate" etc etc, click ok and continue on.
    18. click streams...stream list
    [​IMG]
    click the add button then browse to the wav file which you converted from .ogg to.wav using ashampoo.
    [​IMG]
    19. click on the audio icon picture on the wav audio you just added, click ok.
    20. click video...direct stream copy
    21. click file...save as... give it a name and choose where to save the file then click ok; once done saving as avi close down virtual dub.

[bold]AVI to SVCD (part 6 of conversion)[/bold]
    22. open and run avi2dvd
    [​IMG]
    23. click load avi/ogm/mkv and open up the video file which you just saved using virtualdub.
    [​IMG]
    24. click the step 2 tab, then from here you will see a a drop down list under the word choose disk size, pull down the list and select 900 (CD-R 90 min), this will output the file into a svcd format.
    (the default audio bitrate is 224, but you can choose whatever you want, i myself like to choose 256, so go ahead and choose what audio bitrate you want)
    25. only click on step 3 tab if you know what your doing here, other wise ignore it and proceed to step 4 tab, (i wont be held responsible if something goes wrong or your movie doesn't turn out right due to you messing around with the step 3 tab, so i suggest you just dont touch it and just click step 4 tab.)
    [​IMG]
    26. once on step 4, click the subtitle 1 button, add the subtitle file which you converted to .srt using URUSoft Subtitle Workshop.
    27. from here feel free to play around with altering the fonts, colours, and margins of your subtitles.
    28. in step 2 tab down the bottom there is an option where you can choose where to output the file, so select a destination folder where you want the svcd to be outputed 2
    [​IMG]
    29. once done click ADD JOB, then click GO.
    30. a window will apppear now, click go
    31. this process will prob take close to an hour depending on how fast your pc is, so i reccomend walking away, and come back every now and then to see how much it has to go.
    32. if you see a QuEnc window pop up dont touch or modify anything on it, so minimize it for the time being.
    33. once all done click ok and wait for any other application to finish running then close down avi2dvd.

[bold]SVCD to MP4 (part 7 of conversion)[/bold]
    34. open psp video express click file then open video file.
    35. browse to the folder which you outputed the movie 2 from avi2dvd, select the movie file called "muxed_file00"
    (the file will be called "muxed_file00" or something like that. Anyways, if you want; change the name to whatever you wish, that way when you convert it to mp4 and whack it on your psp it will be called whatever you named instead of being called "muxed_file00".)
    36. once you have selected the file, which i told you to select, the movie will begin to start playing, so press stop on the bar down below in psp video express and then press rewind or drag the bar back to the beginning.
    37. from here choose you video and audio quality and your video size etc, and once done click the "RECORD IT" button, this will take several mins.
    once done plug in your psp to your pc and select usb mode, and once your movie has done converting, it will ask if you wish to output it onto the psp, selct yes or no.

and there you have it; all done and when you watch it on your psp it woill have jpn audio and english subs automatically built into them.
    i hope this guide has been pleasent 4 you to read and easy to understand, if you still have further probs, just pm me and ill be glad to help.

btw, if this guide is good can this please get a sticky, if its ok with you guys here at www.afterdawn.com

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  2. xxsaijin

xxsaijin Regular member

Would h.264 or Divx 5.1.2 also work under these steps? Dual audio anime. I've been harsh looking for a guide to be able to put some of my favorite anime on MS and take it with me on a trip and still be able to watch anime. So thanks for this .mkv guide.

3. xxsaijin

xxsaijin Regular member

Sorry for me posting agian but I think a moderator should STICKY this guide.

4. leiongod

leiongod Regular member

hi there, in regards to your question about would it handle the new h.264 encode, im not entirely sure, best way to find out is try my guide in which i wrote in the psp discussion, called converting mkv to psp, try it out with h.264 encode video you have, and then ome back and tell me if you got it to work or not.

if sumfin doesnt work for you could you tell me waht you got to work and what you couldn't get to work.

also try this out as well, heres a qoute from a friend of mine from www.sharethefiles.org

btw way thanks for saying my guide should get a sticky ^^ that really makes me happy

5. tykester

tykester Member

Insted of converting you can use XCopy9 and transfer your DVDs to your PSP. And it only requires one or 2 steps. I got dizzy reading the other instuctions on this thread...

6. jabba_bzh

jabba_bzh Member

feel dizzy tooooo.... : //

7. leiongod

leiongod Regular member

hey tykester, could you give us some links, to these programs you mentioned, also, yes my guide may seem long, but thats cos i went into full detail, what i might do is edit it and include some pictures, that way it wont make people feel dizzy. but my guide was intended for converting matroska videos onto psp, so i dont know why you mentioned just then about converting dvd's onto psp, 4 but i will say what you mentiond ddi sound intersting though, so yuh give us a link eh, i'll let you's all know back in this same thread when i update my guide when i finish adding pictures to it, i hope this will make it easier to understand.

also it may seem long, cos there the only way i know at the time being on how to convert matroska videos onto psp, i have been getting lots of help from www.sharethefiles.org and people there telling me to use the various programs which i mentioned in my guide, well i hope everything works out for you all in converting matroska videos onto psp.

8. xxsaijin

xxsaijin Regular member

I wish I could test it out but I don't have a PSP yet. The reason that would have pushed me to buy it a while ago would have been this. I have seen the games so far for it and they suck since I'm a picky gamer. I was going to use it for trips to watch my favorite anime or movies or listen to music.

9. leiongod

leiongod Regular member

yuh me too, i just mainly use it for movies or music, btw h264 is a bit harder to re encode onto psp, but im currently trying to figure out how to do it, if i figure out how to do it, ill write another guide, here telling people how to convert h264 encode movies onto psp.

10. D4well

D4well Member

xilisoft psp video converter i using is unable to convert h264 encode movies too. I am expected to having your converting h264 guide.

11. leiongod

leiongod Regular member

im glad you have faith in me but dont expect my h264 guide anytime son, its gonna take me like prolly several weeks just to gather intelligence from other sources and peolpe from other websites and programs, then teache myself how to convert it once i have the info gathered, then it'll take me like a another week or so, just to make sure i have everything nailed down, and there there wont be any stuff ups whould peolpe use my guide, but look forward to it, when it comes out ok. ^^

12. tykester

tykester Member

Ya sorry, for the delay I was on a road trip this weekend. Check out www.psptransfer.com The XCpoy9 does a lot of cool stuff. Two birds with one stone features.

13. leiongod

leiongod Regular member

i'll look into it man, thanks for the link, ill still try to get my h264 guide up as well, when i figure out how to do it, although, at the moment im trying to figure out how to convert h264 onto dvd, but if i can figure this out, it might give me an idea of how to convert it psp mebbe.

14. xxsaijin

xxsaijin Regular member

Nice to hear. Anime Lovers will forever be greatful to you =)

15. leiongod

leiongod Regular member

lol, whoa thanks for the praise, now i kinda feel as though im being forced to, make this H254 guide, but as you said, im sure they will like what i produce.

bty i forgot to up my other guide called how to convert ogm movies onto psp, ill put that up now, if you want you can comment on that as well ok. it wil be in the psp thread here ok.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  16. pred3

pred3 Regular member

Im trying to watch elfen lied (anime) and when i convert it the subs arent there. So doing this will fix that? It seems alot of work.

17. ShaggyZE

ShaggyZE Regular member

all you really need is MKVtoolnix and MKVExtractGUI to extract the .srt from the mkv and then psp video convert (PSPVC) to convert the mkv and add the .srt to the .mp4

18. kingrico

kingrico Regular member

Good old psp video9 converts mkv's for me.

Yup, it's an old app but it's a one click, single app process.

Avidemux will also convert mkv's too - and it includes a few sub ripping apps (including vobsub).

Your guide is very detailed and well prepared, but I can't help thinking there are much simpler ways of obtaining the same results.

R