1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

converting vcd to dvd-r

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by patloz, Jan 4, 2002.

1. patloz

patloz Member

Please can someone help me with the above,i have copied both discs to my hd split the audio files and converted the video files to .m1v from .dat and changed the audio files .mp2 to 48000 sampling frequency(i was following a "how to "guide that neglects to tell u wot to do when you have 2 discs to put on the dvd-r) so i now need to squash it all together so it will play in my home dvd player.
    thanks in advance for any help

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

I _assume_ that the best method would be to join the files together first with TMPGEnc and then demux them into .m1v and .mp2 files and burn them after that.

3. patloz

patloz Member

Thanks for your reply,could you give me an idea on how to join these two files in TMPGEnc ( i actually have 4 because 2 movie and 2 sound).
    or if you know of an webpage with the above info
    thankyou

4. dRD

First you need to Mux the files using TMPGEnc back to .mpg (not 100% sure...) and then join them with TMPGEnc. Both options can be found from TMPGEnc's File menu and select MPEG Tools from there.

5. haeth

haeth Guest

I just bought a set of discs with movies in RealPlayer format and I was wondering if there was a program to convert those to DVD. I know it's not exactly the same as the situation above, but it's close. Can someone help me?

6. dRD

haeth: First of all, RM quality is normally crap and you should definately avoid that one. And I don't think that there's much point in re-encoding those clips (which makes the quality even worse) just in order to get them to DVD. I would re-encode them to VCD format, burn to CD and watch them with DVD player from CDs. Anyway, guide for converting RM to VCD (might be able to convert to other formats as well, don't know, never tried) can be found from here:

http://www.vcdhelp.com/rmto3.htm

7. haeth

haeth Guest

Okay, thank you.

8. Xipix

Xipix Member

Patloz,
    I've done quite a bit with VCD ==> DVD.
    Use TMPGEnc to DeMux the 2 CD's into 4 files.
    (you've already done that)

In TMPGEnc, use the MPG Tools to Combine the 2 m2v (m1v if VCD) files into 1.

For best results/quality, use a tool like CoolEdit 2000 to merge the audio into 1 file.

Use TMPGEnc's Wizard to create the DVD compliant MPG file. (If you want to do menus and what not on the DVD, you might want to check the box in TMPGEnc settings, under the GOP structure tab that says "Output bitstream for edit (Closed GOP) this will make it easier to find frames while doing menus)

http://www.doom9.org/software2.htm has some really good tools for encoding the audio (tooLame, ssrc, etc...)

Jake

You can download a trial of CoolEdit at http://www.syntrillium.com/download/download.html?1

9. dRD

Xipix: Why to re-encode VCD? You can use m1v and mp2 files what you got from demuxing process, directly to create a DVD out of those. VCDHelp.com has a pretty good guide how to do this without re-encoding (and therefor weakening the quality even further).