1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conveting PAL to NTSC

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by RC3H1, Oct 21, 2021.

1. RC3H1

RC3H1 Newbie

So this is my scenario. I have an old PS-90 EU PAL cassette that was recorded on a PAL camcorder in the UK. It has old wedding footage that I am trying to recover. I no longer have the original PAL camcorder but I do have a DCR-TRV340 NTSC that will take the tape. I believe the DCR-TRV340 is HI8 though and maybe a different format from the original source other that PAL. My goal is to obviously get this converted to NTSC to where it is properly viewable.

When I play the PS-90 tape in the DCR-TRV340, it is either displaying blue or green squiggly lines with no audio. I have a firewire and DV option on my computer to input the video from the camcorder. I understand that the framerate is different and that could be the reason why it is displaying blue. If I seek the video forward, thats when I see the squiggly lines to where the footage is somewhat recognizable.

Is there a way to convert the signal from the DCR-TRV340 to my computer and convert it to NTSC or do I have to go the route of getting a PAL video player that accepts PS-90 tapes in PAL format?

I really want to do this myself without having to spend too much. Any Ideas?

Thanks

2. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

As a first (and very quick) cut, it's possible to transfer the cassette content from your camera to your computer via USB. You will need the CD Rom which came with your camera. Instructions are in the manual. Then, it may be possible to convert the content to a suitable format. First let me know if you are able to do the transfer.

3. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Have a little extra time this evening. Go here-

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/camcorders-tape-camcorders/dcr-trv340/manuals

and click on the largest operating instructions manual. Instructions for being able to capture the video on the cassette to your computer start on page 94.

Since this camera seems to be pre-vista and you probably have a later operating system, I suggest right clicking on any file that it asks you to execute and select properties. In Compatibility mode, run it in XP SP2. Apply the change. In addition, you should select to run the file as administrator.

You would use ImageMixer for this camera. I didn't look into it's capabilities so I don't know if it can do a conversion during transfer.

4. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Have you had any time to look into this?

5. RC3H1

RC3H1 Newbie

I have looked into the manual and the transfer software works pretty much link any other. The USB option does not work for video transfer, it is for streaming. It has to be DV or component AV to transfer video via software. I can transfer NTSC to NTSC fine but the issue is that I am playing a PS-90 EU PAL tape in a DCR-TRV340 which is NTSC and most likely HI8 only. Is this a compatible way to do it?

6. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

As I understand it, the ImageMixer will capture the video from your camera as a file on your computer-

https://imagemixer-for-sony-dvd-han...s files or directly captured from a camcorder.

I don't know if there are options to save the captured video in a specific format.

However, once captured, we can work on the conversion to NTSC. There's no guarantee we'll be successful but I don't know of another way to do what you wish.

7. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Have you done anything more with this?

8. RC3H1

RC3H1 Newbie

Sorry, for the delay. Imagemixer reads it all as PAL but still cannot convert it to be viewable. The video transfer is blue or non viewable overall. I am guessing I need a PAL player that takes PS-90 tapes for this to truly work. I know this becuase NTSC works fine with a transfer.

9. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

If Imagemixer saved it as a file, could you upload the file to a site such as dropbox, one drive, wetransfer, etc., share it, get a link and post the link here?